FS Tascam 788 Digital Portastudio & CDRW Burner

Jim Soloway

The Tascam 788 is a stand alone hard-disk based digital workstation. It is the only 8-track I know of that is TRUE 24 bit. I have all of the original packaging and documentation as well as the matching Tascam external CDRW burner with all of the approriate cables.

I have used this unit for all of my recording for the last several years. I've wanted a bit more capability for a while, but I like this unit enough that yesterday I bought the newer/bigger Tascam 2488.

For those interested in the sound quality, here are links to two clips played by me.

And one played by John Stowell

The price is $300 plus $20 for shipping in the US. PayPal is accepted with no fees.

Hi - Lovely guitar music. I've used the Tascam 688 for rehearsals, and like the large number of inputs. I'd like the same thing in digital. Is this it? Fewer inputs? Other limitations, advantages, other than the obvious digital. Thanks very much. Solomon

I don't know the 688, but with the 788 you get six simulteneous inputs. That's the big other advantage over most of the the 8-track machines (the first being true 24 bit).

It's also quite small and light weight, especially at a rehearsal where you'd probably no be using the CDRW. So it's easy to haul around. The obvious limitation is a fairly small hard drive (6GB).

I have a 788 -

It's a great sounding machine. The hard drive is an easy upgrade. A couple of screws on the bottom and it unplugs just like a PC hard drive. Keep in mind, the software (V 2.02) only supports a drive size of around 40 gig I think - so anything bigger would be a waste.

Hope I'm right on this, but hey, it's late! I believe the 788 can have 4 partitions of 16GB each. But right, too much space is a waste. But- that's a lot of recording time at 24 bit for a standalone.

Google "Tascam Forums" and land on the spot to get the definitive scoop.

Would you sell just the CD RW drive? A happy 788 user who is mixing down to a MasterLink, but would like to just export wav files.

Back