Tascam 488 MK1 Portastudio 8 Track Cassette Recorder in box

If you want to obtain the anolog sound, this is for you. Listed on ebay:

Tascam 488 MK1 Portastudio 8 Track Cassette Recorder in Box | eBay

This is the great Tascam 488 8 track cassette recorder that made 8 track recording a reality for artists and producers in the 1990s. I originally bought a 488 MKII in 1998 for $1000 from Sam Ash. I recorded around 15 songs. Two years ago, I was downsizing and sold it on Ebay after I made rough mixes of the songs.

Recently, I was thinking that I could have the isolated tracks so I could remix them on my DAW. I found one and was able to export the isolated tracks to my Tascam 488 Neo thanks to an online document that shows how to output the 8 tracks simultaneously (NO MOD NEEDED). After one hour of use, I no longer have a need for this. It worked like a charm. The speed was steady and luckily, the heads seem to be aligned to those on the 488 MKII that I recorded them on because they sounded great! Included is the manual and box. The original owner took great care of this unit. Due to its age, this is being sold as is however, I can attest that it works fine.

I was able to get 8 out by Googling how to do so and it indeed worked for me. The information is out there and it tells how to do it using the first 4 outputs, the two effect sends, headphone and sync outs. (Actually, I can verify that tracks 1 through 6 and track 8 were accessible but that is most likely because I did not use all 8 tracks when I originally recorded them. Track 8 was always my click track).

Back