Fostex X-12

Dr.Cool said:
How do you go about bouncing tracks on a Fostex X-12 four track recorder.
You can't. It's not made to do that, but you can sort of cheat to do it. I had one a year or so back, and this is how I did it:

Mix the 4 tracks down to a tape deck to get two stereo tracks, then put that cassette back in the X-12 and you can add two more tracks to it. You can't do this too much because the signal will decay each time you mix down and eventually get muddy.

If you want to have the ability to bounce tracks, you will need to upgrade to a higher end 4-track or go digital.

I hope this was helpful.

i was afraid that was all im going to be able to do. im thinking about getting a mr8 or a mr8hd but im a little low on cash right now.

Dr.Cool said:
i was afraid that was all im going to be able to do. im thinking about getting a mr8 or a mr8hd but im a little low on cash right now.
I think once you do, you'll be glad that you did. I started out with a Tascam MF-P01 and the Fostex X-12. I tried piggy-backing them to get more tracks, I tried the mixdown method I described earlier. Nothing could get me close to decent sounding tracks until I went to the MR-8.
I like the added features of the MR-8HD, but as I said in the Fostex forum, I won't be getting one, or anything else until the MR-8 I have now stops working.

Yeah Ive pretty much made up my mind. I think the MR-8HD is definently the way to go. I think the hard drive and four track simultaneous recording is worth the extra 150 dollars.

Dr.Cool said:
Yeah Ive pretty much made up my mind. I think the MR-8HD is definently the way to go. I think the hard drive and four track simultaneous recording is worth the extra 150 dollars.
Well, I hope you can get it soon! You'll love it, I'm sure.
I am going to build a studio from the ground up next year, so I am putting all my pennies away for that...

Back