For vintage guitar buffs.......

TheGuitarMan said:
I'd rather buy 10 boutique strats that I wouldn't be afraid to gig with.

So true. I remember reading somewhere that Steve Vai had a vintage strat for about a week before it got stolen from him. No way in hell I would take one out with me gigging....

what is it about "vintage" guitars ..??
do they play or sound better???
or is it just the nostalgia aspect??

i mean GODDAMN they are expensive?!?!?!

Jamal Bucket said:
what is it about "vintage" guitars ..??
do they play or sound better???
or is it just the nostalgia aspect??

i mean GODDAMN they are expensive?!?!?!

I have been playing for 35 years both pro and now hobby. I have played vintage, new and everything inbetween. "Vintage" guitars can be great, terrible and anyhere inbetween. Most I played were just avareage. A good new one would blow a cruddy vintage one away.
Collectable guitars are just that. Most serious collectors just hang them on a wall. There is no magic at all. The collector vs. player philosophies are just different. The quality control on the vintage ones varied by a super wide margin. Necks were great or terrible.
That is all. Players are really not missing out on anything unless you have the collector mentality. BTW, the vintage pickups buzz and hum as well as the new ones!

As Promised, My (Almost) Broadcaster Pics...

My Father-Inlaws Fender Broadcaster. Precursor to the Telecaster. Very few were made. He is the original owner. Purchased new in Winchester Virginia....

Attachments

• broadcaster.jpg
    broadcaster.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 61
The bottom pickup with the "Ashtray" cover removed. Note the fine cracking in the old laquer finish. I can e-mail a bigger high res pic to you if you like....

Attachments

• broadcaster4.jpg
    broadcaster4.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 41
I don't think it has ever seen the inside of a case. Note the household electrical cord wrapped in gauze for hanging on the wall....

Attachments

• broadcaster5.jpg
    broadcaster5.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 39
MegaDrummer said:
I don't think it has ever seen the inside of a case. Note the household electrical cord wrapped in gauze for hanging on the wall....

Yes, you've married well.

Just a note; it's worth more exactly as it is now, so if someone gets an urge to clean or polish anything, don't.

Man, that's a beautiful guitar.

philboyd studge said:
Yes, you've married well.

Just a note; it's worth more exactly as it is now, so if someone gets an urge to clean or polish anything, don't.

Man, that's a beautiful guitar.

Are you kidding? I can't even get him to take it down of the wall and put it in a case! I played it once (unplugged) and got burnt sienna colored fingers from the oxidized strings. Rust Never Sleeps!

He bought it new when he had a radio show in Winchester VA back in the 50's. Hosted guests like Patsy Cline on a regular basis. In his 70's now. A little bitter after going to Nashville with a book of songs and getting taken.

Phil at Philtone clued me in on leaving it pristine exactly as is. I just wish I could get it into a fire proof case and stashed away safe somewhere. :(

Awesome Tele!!!

Listen, at least spring for one of these...
It might get you that special "entry" in you father in laws will. ;) ;)

Attachments

• p1902d[1].jpg
    p1902d[1].jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 31
Oh and BTW....

MegaDrummer if you can post those up close picts of the finish checking, I would love to see it.

Thanks man.
ELF

That's the wad of the Broadcaster pics. They are in a higher res but this forum has a limit of bytes you can upload.

Wish I had a pic of his amp too. It's from that era.

Meanwhile, check out this Recording King he has....

Attachments

• recordingking.jpg
    recordingking.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 23
MegaDrummer said:
Another.....

Anyone know if it's worth anything?

Probably $300 to $400 or so if it's got a case. Nice fat srings, could be old Gibson monel. A cool parlor trick with lap steels is to tune to an open E, then raise the A string a full tone to C# to get the fat cowboy chords and use an unwound G string so you can bend it behind the bar and get a pedal steel sound.

Back