For vintage guitar buffs.......

Beautiful Fender!

I love Fenders, but no way is ANY Fender worth twenty grand unless it has solid gold hardware and diamond inlays. Even if I had the twenty grand to blow on it.

hixmix said:
Beautiful Fender!

I love Fenders, but no way is ANY Fender worth twenty grand unless it has solid gold hardware and diamond inlays. Even if I had the twenty grand to blow on it.

The thing about this guitar is that original Mary Kays are SUPER rare. I wouldn't pay that amount of money for any axe (unless I where a bazzilionaire) but believe it or not a 1957 Fender Strat in original blonde with gold hardware in that condition is worth BUKO BUCKS. Just look at the current bid,.. almost eighteen and a half grand and there is still three days left on the auction, believe me the people bidding on this guitar know exactly what they are plunking down their cash for.

Funny, at the old country dance halls in LA and Orange county in the early and mid fifties my dad used to make fun of them and call 'em 'stick' guitars.

It's worth at least 20 grand.

Still, it's got that three way switch and you've got to wiggle it around just so to get two pickups.

philboyd studge said:
Funny, at the old country dance halls in LA and Orange county in the early and mid fifties my dad used to make fun of them and call 'em 'stick' guitars.

It's worth at least 20 grand.

Still, it's got that three way switch and you've got to wiggle it around just so to get two pickups.

INCREDIBLE.....

I'm sure if your old man would have known back then he would have bought a couple of them eh?

Yeah. I read how when Fenders first appeared in the early fifties they were called "stick guitars" because they were so skinny and light compared to everything else at the time. Almost all electrics up till then were fat hollow bodies.

eyeslikefire said:
INCREDIBLE.....

I'm sure if your old man would have known back then he would have bought a couple of them eh?

He played piano and wasn't interested in guitars, but as a little kiid then I was facinated by 'em, especially the cutaways on teles and strats. Pretty as steerhorns on a Cadillac.

Then by '58 I got into folk music and could have cared less about electrics......except for Duane Eddy and Al Casey. Now I've got one of Al Casey's Gibsons. Life is good.

Old Fenders.....

My Father inlaw has a Fender Broadcaster. It is really a Telecaster, but started out being called a Broadcaster until a lawsuit made fender change the name. The thing even has the original strings on it. I wonder how much it's worth? Perhaps one day it will be mine? :eek:

Re: Old Fenders.....

MegaDrummer said:
My Father inlaw has a Fender Broadcaster. It is really a Telecaster, but started out being called a Broadcaster until a lawsuit made fender change the name. The thing even has the original strings on it. I wonder how much it's worth? Perhaps one day it will be mine? :eek:

If you're telling the truth then you've married well.

That neck looks incredible! God I wish Warmoth made a neck with that profile. Even if I had $20,000 to spare, I'd never dare to play the damn thing...

Looks like it sold for $21,100. Leo would be amazed.

Earliest Strat I can recall playing was a '57 in Oregon a few years back. A guy brought it into the place I was playing.......it made my strat feel and sound like crappola. The neck was outstanding.

Re: Re: Old Fenders.....

philboyd studge said:
If you're telling the truth then you've married well.

I've got jpegs of it somewhere. I'll try to dig up the disc and post them here. His Broadcaster hangs on the wall in his den in Nashville. When I found out it was rare I told him to get a case for it. But he's too cheap to spring for one. Someone told me the least it would go for is 10 grand.

Re: Re: Re: Old Fenders.....

MegaDrummer said:
I've got jpegs of it somewhere. I'll try to dig up the disc and post them here. His Broadcaster hangs on the wall in his den in Nashville. When I found out it was rare I told him to get a case for it. But he's too cheap to spring for one. Someone told me the least it would go for is 10 grand.

That somebody's right. A nice Christmas gift for your father in law would be a retro tweed case...........it might pay back in spades.

philboyd studge said:
Looks like it sold for $21,100. Leo would be amazed.

Earliest Strat I can recall playing was a '57 in Oregon a few years back. A guy brought it into the place I was playing.......it made my strat feel and sound like crappola. The neck was outstanding.

Alder that has been vibrating for 46 years,.. the tone must be nothing but incredible! And the blonde finish is very thin....

Dang!!!! Why didn't any of you lend me the money???:mad:

Oh well, I could always wait for a 53 gold top...... ;)

Back