For all you old guys

Here's my opinion: You are not worth the time and effort to respond to when you are doing nothing but spoiling for an argument.

G.

Last edited:
For all the guys who have been recording for more than 10-15 years. Before all this digital stuff started becoming more available.

:D

I have been recording digitally since 1982 - that's when it became affordable, when the Sony PCM-F1 came out, one year before the CD was released.

Analogue recording was no more difficult (or easy) than digital. Though the skill in editing rusty plastic with razor blades.................... With a DAW editing is much easier, with many undos - trying to stck a tiny piece of tape back in :(

The 10-15 year thing is not that long ago.

I started digital recording when I was 14. I lived with my dad and 2 brothers. We never had a computer up till then. I used a daw program and the microphone in the monitor. I didn't have money for any kind of studio equipment but I was just fascinated with the idea of being able to record voices and put them to instrumentals. I've gotten pleasure over the years getting better equipment and learning new ways to record. It's not really bout the money it's bout the journey of accomplishing something you thought you could NEVER do.

I'm at a point that I like because I'm starting to get ok business from locals. Just enough to have extra money for audio and film equipment piece by piece.

I've came along way and I respect everyone who does it.

But for me digital recording was never an easy thing.

I've had to work many hours, put in hard earned $$$ and lose a few girlfriends to get where i'm at

cheers :drunk:

Old guys

I started recording in the mid fifties. The money from my job washing windows for a downtown shop afforded me the luxury of renting two mono tape decks which I would haul home on the bus and set up in our living room. I would record a vocal track on one, the play it back while I sang into the second one. I was "ping-ponging" before I ever heard the term. Obviously there was no quality involved, but even those times were learning times.

Later I went from sound on sound decks to a Dokorder 4 track 1/4" machine I bought with my winnings from a Radio shack CB songwriting contest in the seventies. Just as I considered the four track machine to be so much of and improvement and later the eight track (mine was a Fostex), the digital machines of today are amazing. What used to take up a wall of my bedroom studio sits in a box on the table'; no outboard effects, EQ, etc. It's all there in a five pound 10 X 12" package.

What I have experienced in the digital realm is that some machines are much more "user friendly" than others, a factor I never considered with analog tape machines. I won't mention any brands here, but the first HD recorder I bought was a nightmare to use. The learning curve was so steep, I finally gave it up and started shopping for another - and found one I could actually learn to operate.

I don't hold any kind of grudge against today's generation of digital recordists. There are still hoops to jump through. You don't just push a button and create a hit recording. It still has to be tweaked and pounded into something "radio ready" to be appreciated by the industry "powers that be".

I feel fortunate to have witnessed the progress in our area of interest the same as one might marvel at the transition from steam engines to diesels, or crystal radios to stereo, surround sound, LED TVs and such. I look forward to the next innovation in creative recording.

I did a lot in analog and loved it. Very organic process.

I also love digital, although some times I curse it for encouraging a lack of discipline at the front end. Knowing we can undo/redo/completely warp any tracks tends to foment laziness, which I sometimes succomb to, making for mixdown hell.

Not surprisingly, the best sounding digital tracks are the ones that I lay down with great performances and don't need to tweak/stretch/correct/comp/micro-edit.

I'm 53, so I often use digital media as a reel-to-reel recorder that doesn't need head cleaning. Occasionally, I stoop to beat alignment or pitch correction, but neither is anywhere near as effective as playing/singing it right in the first place.

-Curmudgeon

Back