Focusrite 2i2 to Behringer MS40 Monitors

seeingeyesingle

I've had my Focusrite 2i2 for a little while now, and had success with connecting it to my computer for recording, but now I want to connect my Behringer MS40 monitors to the monitor out on the back of the 2i2. I have a good quality RCA cable connected to the back of the MS40, and then 1/4" TRS adapters on the other end to go into the back of the 2i2. The sound level coming out of the 2i2 is almost nothing. The cables are good, but I am wondering what I am doing wrong. Any help from anyone who has experienced something similar would be appreciated. Thank you!

Are you getting a good level out of the 2i2's headphones output?

Also worth trying is an RCA cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack at the other end to go into the stereo line 1 input

I'm suspicious when you say 1/4" TRS adapters for the the RCA's. Do your adapters look like these.... Amazon.com: Hosa GPR-101 RCA to 1/4 inch TS Adaptors except TRS? Post a picture or a link to what you're using for an adapter.

You can and probably should use adapters like the ones in that link or a cable with TS and RCA's on each respective end. The outputs of the 2i2 can accept 1/4" TS plugs and will work OK for the unbalanced RCA's of your monitors.

I am getting good level out of the 2i2 headphone output. I just tried connecting a different cable, with RCA and 1/4" TRS adapters on the 2i2 end, and a 1/8" on the other, connected to the MS40's stereo input. Still no dice.

My adapters look almost identical like what you posted, except they are TRS. Would the fact they are balanced really make that much of a difference as far as actual level goes?

---------- Update ----------

I'm suspicious when you say 1/4" TRS adapters for the the RCA's. Do your adapters look like these.... Amazon.com: Hosa GPR-101 RCA to 1/4 inch TS Adaptors except TRS? Post a picture or a link to what you're using for an adapter.

You can and probably should use adapters like the ones in that link or a cable with TS and RCA's on each respective end. The outputs of the 2i2 can accept 1/4" TS plugs and will work OK for the unbalanced RCA's of your monitors.

My adapters look almost identical like what you posted, except they are TRS. Would the fact they are balanced really make that much of a difference as far as actual level goes?

I am getting good level out of the 2i2 headphone output. I just tried connecting a different cable, with RCA and 1/4" TRS adapters on the 2i2 end, and a 1/8" on the other, connected to the MS40's stereo input. Still no dice.

---------- Update ----------

Are you getting a good level out of the 2i2's headphones output?

Also worth trying is an RCA cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack at the other end to go into the stereo line 1 input

I don't think the TRS adapters are going to do the job because of the way a balanced output works. I 'think' the ring and the tip audio signals get summed to the tip/center connection on the RCA adapter. The ring and tip signals are out of phase by 180 degrees and when summed together the result is zero signal, which seems to be what you're seeing. This adapter would likely work fine for combining the left and right audio from a stereo signal output jack to a mono signal at the RCA.

If you can get TS adapters like I linked previously, I believe it should work as expected or a cable like this.... Amazon.com: Hosa CPR-202 Dual 1/4" TS to Dual RCA Stereo Interconnect Cable, 2 Meters: Musical Instruments

Attachments

• trs rca.jpg
    trs rca.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2
Typically the TRS to single RCA plug adapters are for summing a stereo output to a single mono signal. This would allow a stereo headphone output to go to a single mono speaker.

For a balanced connection to RCA, you just need a TS to RCA adapter. This will connect the Ground and shield, leaving the Hot for the center post of the RCA plug.

Because the audio inputs on the MS40 are unbalanced, you need a TS cable, not TRS. The cable Arcaxis linked to is the correct one.

Because the audio inputs on the MS40 are unbalanced, you need a TS cable, not TRS. The cable Arcaxis linked to is the correct one.

I would bet OP a set of cables that the 2i2 has "impedance" balanced outputs and so no cancellation can take place but yes, TS to RCA cables should fix the problem. He could also try a 3.5mm (1/8") stereo jack to jack plug cable connected to the 2i2's headphone jack to prove the speakers. Such cables are readily available at 'Rock Bottom' type stores.

Dave.

Yup, I gotta agree with you Dave on the impedance balanced configuration, which I would presume is what the 2i2 likely uses. Guess I was looking for a rational reason for the lack of signal and the 'real' balanced circuit seemed a fit. I think I'm going to hobble something together to try a TRS to TS configured like the adapter the OP has. Although I don't have a Focusrite to play with, my Behringer stuff is mostly wired impedance balanced. I'm thinking the signal will be reduced by the output resistors dividing the signal. Regardless the OP should get a proper adapter or cable to make the connections and take something questionable out of the picture. If having a proper connection still doesn't do what is expected, we'll dig a bit deeper.

Yup, I gotta agree with you Dave on the impedance balanced configuration, which I would presume is what the 2i2 likely uses. Guess I was looking for a rational reason for the lack of signal and the 'real' balanced circuit seemed a fit. I think I'm going to hobble something together to try a TRS to TS configured like the adapter the OP has. Although I don't have a Focusrite to play with, my Behringer stuff is mostly wired impedance balanced. I'm thinking the signal will be reduced by the output resistors dividing the signal. Regardless the OP should get a proper adapter or cable to make the connections and take something questionable out of the picture. If having a proper connection still doesn't do what is expected, we'll dig a bit deeper.

Mark! No worries I was not having a pop! IF the TRS to RCA cable was wired properly, tip hot and ring either O/C or tied to sleeve, that would work for either form of balanced output but it is possible the doom brained cable makers have wired tip amf ring cores together or picke the ring as hot!

I have an old 8i6, will see it that is Z balanced. Nost everything at that price point is.

Dave.

Mark! No worries I was not having a pop! IF the TRS to RCA cable was wired properly, tip hot and ring either O/C or tied to sleeve, that would work for either form of balanced output but it is possible the doom brained cable makers have wired tip amf ring cores together or picke the ring as hot!

I have an old 8i6, will see it that is Z balanced. Nost everything at that price point is.

Dave.

You may already have this bookmarked. Good reference for cable connections.....
RANE Commercial - Knowledge Base

Yup, I've DIY'd a few XLR to TS cables that have the pin 3 tied to pin 1 for this very reason. Haven't tried the O/C method as I have a few pieces of gear that have transformers on the outputs and I think having one leg open won't work too well.

Back