fixing choppy vocals with sonar?

osion

Hi, I use Sonar 2.
Some of my songs have vocals with the vocals culled from several takes. Sometimes when the vocals from the two takes (clips) are close to each other, and I listen to the song as it goes from one clip to another it doesnt sound smooth. Like listening to it, I can tell that it wasnt recorded in one take. Its a choppy transition, there is something about the takes that is slightly different from each other and unfortunately I can't tell what it is that is different. The difference is very subtle but it is noticable. What I was wondering is there any kind of effect or something that can make it smoother, like make the different clips/takes sound like they were recorded in one take. Or is it a question of me using bad recording/microphone placement techniques? I hope I have explained myself well. Any replies are appreciated. Thanks

Assuming the takes were done at the same time with the same settings on your equipment, it could simply be a volume issue.

Try putting an envelope on the track and adjusting the volumes for each clip to smooth out the transition.

If they were recorded at different times with different equpment settings, you're probably SOL - although evening the volume should still help somewhat.

In all likelihood, the difference is probably more noticeable to you than it would be to anyone else.

It's also very easy to have a voice change character -intensity, inflection, edge/focus, ect from take to take.

the takes were done at the same time with the same settings. But I didn't note the distance i was from the microphone so its possible i stood at a different distance for each take (differing by inches). Maybe that has something to do with it.

People who have listened don't seem to notice it or at the very least are not bothered by it but it is annoying for me.

I do realize the voice can change character from take to take but is there no way to conpensate for that?

I actually don't know what an evelope is but I'll read about it from the sonar help manual when i get home, thanks for the replies guys

osion said:
...I do realize the voice can change character from take to take but is there no way to conpensate for that?

It might be something as simple as matching the vocal energy level of the previous take.
You might get to like fine tuning with the volume automation. It can get time consuming, but effective.:D

my vocals are usually broken into 19 million different take...cause i suck....learn how to apply a envelope and use it ....i cannot tell my pieces of vocals when i am done...if i can't ,you will not...but also...try not to change much while recording ...i mean once your voice sounds half way decent..continue on until it too late to continue....because the next day it will take all that warm up time again to get to that point...and it may never be the same anyway.......

osion said:
I do realize the voice can change character from take to take but is there no way to conpensate for that?
Yes, learn how to use a compressor. That would be the easiest way. :)

Back