Fishman Triple Play review

fuzzsniffvoyage

So I got me a Fishman Triple Play midi pup at Sweetwaters Gearfest.

First of all, it is a very neat toy, and it does work with just about any soft synth I've loaded in my DAW.

The tracking is a bit shaky, synths and keys don't to bends and slides like a guitar. So I've been working on cleaning up my playing to exclude technique that doesn't translate well to synths. I've realized my playing is a bit sloppy. I don't lift my fingers all the way when changing position or chords, and I seem to hit unintended strings from time to time....I'm working on it. Will it make me a better guitar player???

In the box.....no software included, you must download everything......booo! I took hours, and I have high speed cable internet.

Set up....I installed the Fishman on my Les Paul, easy peazy, though I did have to remove my bridge to install mounting bracket for the pup itself. Then I had to reset the guitar up, intonation and neck relief, and put new strings on while I was at it. The actual electronic unit was easier.

Wireless, yeah! Works pretty decent, no huge problems, a little latency depending on the synthmodule I'm using in stand alone mode. In the DAW, I didn't notice any latency, what's up with that?

I haven't used all the software it came with. The watered down daw I have no use for. I'll try to use the notation program at some point. The amp sims, naw, wont use 'em. The sample tank is the only one I've used.

So my initial rating would be 3 1/2 stars out of 5. They could get another star if the software was included on a disk, or better yet the wireless USB dongle it comes with.

So I think in the long run, I'll be using the Fishman pup will be quite useful for tracking in my home studio.

Back