First!

Not sure why there are now two forums for "equipment reviews"....?

There's this new one, "Gear User Reviews", and then another at the bottom of the Equipment Forums, "Other Equipment and Reviews".
I guess it's a fine line between them....though I don't know how much action there is for either of them.

I think eventually these forums will get populated with reviews and news/events from audiofanzine. Then open for discussions.

I would make a wager that reviews from members would be welcomed, too. Like say, for instance, that EMT-240.

Gear reviews done by the site admins that rely on advertising revenue from manufacturers and distributors?

I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

Yup, same thing as in magazines... which is partly why I don't subscribe to any magazines. User reviews could be a good thing if you filter out the garbage from wannabe's and know-it-alls.

Hey I just got a xxxxxx and it's the best xxxxxx I've ever used because I just got it!

Audiofanzine loves the xxxxxx because they buy ads with us.

There, I just summarized every review of all time.

I hope they start out with reviews of some tube mic stands.

Then maybe they could move on to cable isolators and CD marking pens.

Yup, same thing as in magazines... which is partly why I don't subscribe to any magazines. User reviews could be a good thing if you filter out the garbage from wannabe's and know-it-alls.

Doesn't leave much left, does it?

Here's my gear review: I guess I like 4th the most, but my definite least favorite is the shift between 2nd and 3rd, at least on the van. It always acts like it's not sure if it wants to shift up or not.

OK, bit's over, I'll stop now.

Gear reviews done by the site admins that rely on advertising revenue from manufacturers and distributors?

I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

Totally off. AF does not get paid for writing reviews and they are totally independent and at times quite negative. But regardless, this forum is for USER reviews not editorials. You will read here reviews by AF & HR members.

Like say, for instance, that EMT-240.

Mmmmm....well, OK, that could qualify as my "user review" of the unit.... but the "review" part came mostly from the overall thread dicussion in the Analog Forum, where that piece of equipment would be of interest for the most part.

I don't know if would want to do a formal review. While I cerainly can type up a storm, ;)...and I've even done paid-for work back in the day for a marketing firm on some DAW software and a couple of other things....I'm just not that enthusiastic about specificlaly typying up "gear reviews" in a dedicated "Gear Reviews" forum. It's different when we are just talking about something, and an informal "review" is indirectly generated out of that discussion.
As you noted...with more formal *reviews* they can either come off lame when done half-assed ("I use it, I like it, therefore it must be good")...or too "know-it-all", when someone trys to get all technical and deep with a formal review...
...though somewhere in-between there may some that are a good read.

Anyway....let's see how many show up.

Hey I just got a xxxxxx and it's the best xxxxxx I've ever used because I just got it!

Audiofanzine loves the xxxxxx because they buy ads with us.

There, I just summarized every review of all time.

Despite what chatar says thats pretty much what Audiofailzine is all about. Call me old fashioned but I like a little more experience and journalistic savy when it comes to placing any value on a review. This site has one or two people that can give a technical and professional take on gear. Audiofailzine probably about the same. Either way I don't come here for reviews, I don't think any one does, but the traditional discussion content has been pushed off the map by these useless "review" forums, along with useless and unnecessary sticky threads.... I'd be interested in what the hits count is like because the post count here is definitely down.

Totally off. AF does not get paid for writing reviews and they are totally independent and at times quite negative. But regardless, this forum is for USER reviews not editorials. You will read here reviews by AF & HR members.

Why is it important that we can read AF members reviews here? Can't we all got to AF if we want to do that?

I never said AF was getting "paid for writing reviews".

But it is obvious that AF is getting ad revenue from manufacterers and distributors that advertise on HR.com.

There is already a banner at the top of the page with both "editorial" and "user" reviews. Why aren't those hyperlinks sufficient?

Creating a seperate forum seems like an attempt to cloud the sources of reviews by making it look like they are all coming from registered users and are completely unsolicited.

Last edited:
Back