First try with Boss BR-600 recorder

Tele The Truth

I know the vocals suck which is why I left them back a little in the mix. I'm open to and suggestions or criticisms and especially any tips from people using any of the Boss stand alone digital recorders. :)

Click on Country Star

Last edited:
That bottleneck playing is absolutely awesome. Great recording of that guitar; maybe take down the level a fraction?

The rhythm guitar doesn't stand up so well in my opinion, seems quite tinny. What are you micing it with? When it goes into that double time bit, it seems to get kinda lost.

The lead is excellent though, nice tone, nice playing, well suited.

I'd leave the vocals where they are in the mix, they seem to be at the right level.

I think it's lacking a little warmth in the bass department, but this is all in all a nice job on your stand alone recorder. I'd think about re-tracking the rhythm guitar. No drums? Oh and teles rock. ;)

I'd leave the vocals. Did you plug that rhythm guitar straight in? It's the weakest part of the track.

Having said that, it's a great song, really great feel, and the guitar playing is superb.

Doesn't sound bad at all....I have a BR-532. I never got stuff this good out of it.

Thanks for the feedback!

I recorded everything using the unit's onboard amp modeller and my telecaster with the exception of the slide guitar parts. I used a MMX 990 and an ART preamp to record that part. Looking back, I should have most likely cut some of the highs out of the slide track. The rhythm guitar lost some of it's fullness when I started messing with the built in mastering options. In trying to fix some areas, I guess I took away from others.

:)

I agree the vocals sound pretty good where they are now. Great guitar picking and slide playing. Tele's rock - in the right hands of course and your seem just right....

:D :) :D :)

I'd push the vocal up a hair. While I can make out what you're singing, it feels smaller in the mix than the rest of the elements.

Nice guitar chops, by the way. You get a little less than precise at moments, but I personally LOVE the tension created by that type of vibe... (like the listener is forced to ask himself "is it about to go off the rails?"), but it never does.

Nice man. I've got a song in the clinic right now that I'd LOVE to hear some clean electric on for the first 3 minutes of the song if you're looking on expanding on what you're doing a bit.
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=230242

I can must my mickey mouse acoustic "leads" in it if it'll help you track.

Last edited:
Firstly, this is a great song. Yeah, the guitars are a little 'thin' sounding etc maybe but I think it sort of fits the song (which is the most important thing of course). Real nice.

I am collecting my BR -600 this week from Turnkey in London and reading all of the posts here and other reviews I now can't wait and may have to pick it up earlier. I have a computer set-up running sonar which, ok, is very good but by the time you switch the thing on, load the vsts etc the moment seems to be gone - I got a lot more done using my old Tascam porta 01 so this seems like a cost effective way back in.

All the best

Tony

Vocal is great !(more 2 or 3 dbs and will be better)
Good slide guitar, great performance and sound.
To my taste, a more "amp", or "warm" tone and a little less hard panning could help on Tele.

(maybe not your intention, but song is "ready" for add bass,drums and the "tradditional" 2 rhytmn acoustic lef/right panned... IMO).

Ciro

My compositions here:
http://www.soundclick.com/openstation

Last edited:
Back