First Timer Question: Monitors and Amps

davyar

This is my very first post. I'll probably have many, many more questions.

I am a trumpet player (40-something). My wife has been bugging me to get a hobby. So I went out and bought (on eBay) and TASCAM DP-01. I just plan for now on recording myself (no piano yet) playing solos and duets and just hearing myself play. They say it is a real shocker when a trumpet player hears himself for the first time. Any way.....

I got this blue thing called a Digital Portastudio (aka DP-01) delivered today. OK, I cannot do a thing yet with out a mic, a monitor, an amplifier, etc:

1. I need a monitor. Will any work. There are some under $100 (remember -- I'm married!!).

2. I need a mic. Dynamic condenser? I read drum mics work well for trumpet.

3. I know I need an amplifier. Do I need a mic preamp?

Other threads mention Lexicon LXP1 amp and a electro harmonix 12ay7 or m-audio DMP3 mic pre amp.

Get me started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Y.

Hello Dave... Welcome to the board :)

The DP-01 looks a nice bit of kit, and your right when you say you will need a mic and a monitor for it to work.

1: Monitors, if you get powered monitors there is no need for an amplifier, so you can take that out of the equation. http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/browse/category_id/aebf388117a1fe4f065525ed8c819e3b
That's a UK site, but just giving you an idea of what there is out there. Hopefully someone will come on and give a nice US site where you can buy cheap gear.

2: A microphone - Condenser would be better in your position as you get a better sound quality from these. The DP-01 has phantom power which is needed to power condensers so they will work fine with your gear. I dont have much of an idea for a perticular mic for a trumpet, last time i recorded a trumpet i used an AKG C414 which worked quite well, Although there are much more experienced people on the microphone section who would be able to help you with that.

3: You could do with a mic pre amp but its not essential. If you can afford one, i would suggest you get one though.

And of course, dont forget about the essentials you will need:

XLR Cable for your microphone
Boom stand to hold your mic (Sure your wife wouldn't be happy holding your microphone for you whilst you play away for hours)

Hope that helps a little,

Good luck and have fun :D

Back