First Mix Critiques

DarkFriend

Don't you just hate these? ;) I've posted my first attempt at recording and mixing and would love some comments, critiques, suggestions, etc., from those of you with experience.

The MP3 is located at:

My setup:
Pentium 2 400Mhx, 128MB RAM, 7200RPM Western Digital
Delta 44, AudioBuddy Preamp
n-Track latest build

Thanks!

The drums are REALLY up front, and the vocals are really far back. I'd bring down the drums and bring up the vocals. But everything sounds pretty good other then that, especially for a first try. I'm not a huge fan of drum loops, so I don't especially care for the drums. I like the real live drummer, or some really in depth real sounding drum loops. Yours get kind of repetitive, maybe a different one on the chorus?

Jake

jrlemonz - Thanks for the comments.. I wonder what this mix sounds like through other monitors, because I'm hearing drums and vocals up front. This is intended actually, as they are the centerpiece of the song, with everything else behind them. The drums are actually programmed using an Alesis SR16, not loops. Believe it or not, I programmed each part of the song individually to give it a more "drummer-like" feel. I do feel that the hats and ride are a little lost in the mix, however, they are not really as important. Thanks again for the comments!

That explains it, the Alesis sounds like a piece of electronic garbage no matter what you do to it. It isn't a bad drum MACHINE, but it will never sound like a real drummer playing real drums.

Jake

Back