Firestudio or Digimax FS?

Dmeek

I just purchased a Firestudio Tube as well as currently own a MOTU 8 pre. The Firestudio Tube is a bit sluggish & has restarted my computer twice in the one quick recording session i have done (but is much better than my past experience with presonus restating every few minutes). My curiosity is towards the digimax FS but i have some questions first. What is happening when the Digimax goes through the 8 pre (does the Digimax handle all conversion & simply pass through the 8 pre or does it use the 8 pre conversion process (leaving the 8 pre "stamp" on everything)? I like the presonus sound better & will probably return the Firestudio tube in exchange for the Digimax FS if i can still get the presonus sound without having to deal with their buggy drivers. I like the idea of replacing the 8 pre with something better in the future & having the digimax plug write in. Oh & i`m using Sonar 7.01 for anyone who might be wondering;) Thanks ahead!

The 8pre and the firestudio are both soundcards. Because the Firestudio is DICE- II I'd go beg for my money back from whoever you got it from

The Digimax F/S can go thru the 8Pre's Digital I/O via the ADAT ports with no change to the sound, leaving you to use the 8 pre's other analog ins

So your saying the 8 pre handles the conversion of its inputs (& only its inputs) & whatever unit i hook up will convert its own inputs & simply pass through the 8 pre. I hear alot of bad things about dice II. is the digimax free of that?

The digimax has no dice 2 fears as its just a set of mic pre's and converters, plus very handily, a pair of di's. We have two of them and they havent died after a year, though we rarely use them.

The Digimax F/S has a set of ADAT I/O which send a digital signal to any soundcard with an ADAT input. If the card is made corrdctly, as the MOTU 8 pre is, the digital audio will pass completely unmolested to the "output" of the drivers themselves which are made available to the inputs of your recording program

RME Fireface 800

I love the Fireface 800. It's sweet. I do think I'm going to buy a Digimax D8 and hook that up with it so I can have more channels. You will be very happy with the RME unit. I run Vista 32 and I have no problems with it whatsoever.

Back