Firebox installation problem

pennylink

I just finished installing the Presonus Firebox drivers on my Dell laptop (Dell 9300 running Windows XP Home Edition), and am running into problems...

Firebox is being recognized in the Hardware tab of Sound/Audio Devices of Control Panel, however it doesn't show up in Sonar 2.2 as audio or MIDI input/output. Only the built-in Dell soundcard (Sigma Tel C-Major Audio) shows up as an option.

Also WinAmp which I use for mp3 playback doesn't recognize the Firebox.

Control Panel shows that the Firebox drivers are enabled and supposedly working properly.

Any ideas???

did you remember to go to Control Panel>Sound And Audio Devices>Audio tab. try setting the Firebox as the default for playback/recording. i dunno if you already tried this, but when i first installed my Firepod i was also having problems with winamp playback and stuff like that, but i just had to switch the Firepod to be my default sound card since it didn't do that automatically once i installed the drivers. hope this helps

The Firebox doesn't show up in the Audio tab (only the built-in soundcard does), so I can't set it as the default card for playback/recording. Only the Hardware tab recognizes the Firebox at this point..

I suppose I could try uninstalling the drivers and then reinstall them.

Service Pack 2 in Windows XP was the culprit. I finally found the solution on the Presonus website:

"This may be due to a problem in XP SP2 that can be fixed with a patch released from Microsoft at this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222. Follow the instructions on the above site to install the patch. When you reboot after installing this patch, your FIREBOX should sync up right away, showing a blue sync light."

All is A-OK after installing the patch :) :) :)

Pretty good find. I think this hotfix will apply to a problem I had with my Firebox (well it wasn't the Firebox's fault) where writing a recording to a SATA slave HD gave a "Windows - Delayed Write Error". The problem was associated with XP SP2 and the 1394 Firewire port control. The link you posted basically paraphrases another link that I had for the Write Error problem...but the hotfix suggested on that page was beta only, and you had to contact Microsoft by phone to get it. So, good stuff. Interestingly, I never had the sync up problem with my Firebox...just the driver type writing error.

Keep us posted on how you go with your Firebox.

Back