Finalizer in Main Inserts vs. Main LR Bus?

promesis

Black Knights of the 4H.
The manual suggests setting Finalizer after the Main LR Outputs - and into the studio monitors. Problem is, on my Mackie 32/8 the balanced XLR Main LR Outs are unaffected by the solo's or mono switch.

What implications or problems would there be if i used the Main Inserts for the Finalizer and used the Control Room Outputs to feed the monitors - thus retaining access to the solo and mono switching? Other than having to use TS unbalanced to XLR balanced cables.

i guess i could just as well send the Control Room outputs to the Finalizer before it hits the monitors. it's the thought of sending the signal through the additional circuitry of the Control Room Outputs that's bugging me.

Or would it be better to not even worry about the Finalizer until the mix is totally ready to send to the 2-track, when checking mono mix and soloing tracks etc are pretty unnecessary? i just think it would be a pain to have to have a different setup for the mixing process vs the final mixdown.

Any guidance or suggestion?

tia

A Finalizer (assuming a typical TC unit or what not) doesn't go between the console and the monitors... It goes between your main out and your mixdown deck (whatever that may be, but it won't be a monitoring controller).

A Finalizer (assuming a typical TC unit or what not) doesn't go between the console and the monitors... It goes between your main out and your mixdown deck (whatever that may be, but it won't be a monitoring controller).

thanks so much for your reply MM - but with respect, i don't think that is correct.

quoted directly from their manual page 11:
"Setup with an analog mixing console and a digital recording device:

1. connect the analog Outputs of your mixer to the analog Input of the Finalizer Express. [as indicated in my OP i have chosen the XLR balanced Main Outs - which circumvents the solo and mono monitoring options - but it is fully balanced compared to the CR Outs which are unbalanced]

2. Select the analog Inputs by pressing the "Select Input" key on the front panel.

3. Connect one of the digital Outputs of the Finalizer Express to your digital recording device. [it's going S/PDIF out into a Tascam CD-RW 700 S/PDIF digital Input :rolleyes: ]

4. Connect the analog Outputs of the Finalizer Express to your monitoring system." [ :eek: ]

from manual page 13:
"ANALOG OUT knob
Sets the analog Output level. This control only affects the analog Output Range: -26dB to +6dB."

In this configuration, is not the Analog Output knob used SOLELY to control the Levels to the monitoring system: vis á vis - "a monitoring controller"? :confused:

Ah - Okay, you're mixing out of the board to a CD recorder. That changes everything (and nothing - It still goes between your source and destination - The analog out is to go to an analog in - Not meant for a monitoring mult, although technically, I suppose you could use it as such - If it went from -infinity to +26 or something, then yeah, it could be meant for a monitoring control. But with a swing of only 30dB, it's just a "trim" control for whatever it's being sent to - A tape deck, or the analog inputs of a DSD machine or CD recorder, etc.).

What are you mixing *from* - and can you mix back to it?

thanks again MM. I am mixing from an Alesis HD24.

it's not so much needing to use the Finalizer to control the monitors.. the manual's instructions are pretty clear as to the proper connections as i had indicated above. but this configuration circumvents soloing and mono mix monitoring - which, in preparing for mixdown is a critical option - to switch quickly between them.

i had been using the CR outs into my monitors previous to this Finalizer purchase. That allowed me all the soloing and mono mix monitoring needed - then sent the Studio Outs to the analog ins of the Tascam CD-RW 700. That way i could use the CR Outs to attenuate the monitors without affecting the level sent to the recorder - and the only option to accept signal to the mixdown CDR was its analog ins. but these two board LR outputs are both unbalanced (which wasn't a concern then since the analog ins of the CDR were RCA unbalanced). i wanted to set this up with the Finalizer "by the book" and utilizing the equipment to its fullest by using the fully balanced signal from the board's XLR Main Outs and utilizing the direct digital outs from the Finalizer to the CDR.. but alas, no soloing etc.

The manual also describes using the channel inserts - even the send/returns .. i am inferring further the use of the Main LR Out Buss' Insert - also unbalanced.. but the signal does not travel through the additional CR Out's circuitry.

I guess, when the rubber hits the road - i can configure everything so that i can get:
1. access to both soloing and mono mix monitoring
2. digital signal from Finalizer to CDR's Digital Ins
3. monitor the affect of the Finalizer during mixdown
4. ability to attenuate the monitors without affecting levels to the mixdown CDR

but what it won't do is remain fully balanced going into the Finalizer - and the unbalanced signal would be routed through more circuitry in the board before it even gets to the Finalizer.

so, in a nutshell - is it really important to eliminate the additional circuitry route and remain balanced (keep in mind the tolerances of the Mackie :rolleyes:) .. basically, that's my original question:

what implications to quality are there using the main inserts (unbalanced) or the CR outs (unbalanced and additional circuitry) to the Finalizer.

or.. maybe send the fully balanced outs to the Finalizer then CDR via S/PDIF, as described above, but somehow route the Analog Outs of the CDR back into the board then out from the CR Outputs into the monitors. but i don't think this can be done because the 24 channels of the HD24 would be fed through the board while getting fed the Mixdown signal..

Ok.. now i'm getting confused.. LANDREW.. LANDREW.. correlate.. (old star trek reference)

Thanks so much for your attention to this MM!

[added after posted]
hey MM, i just realized you are a biker too! i have an old sporty - total "old school rat chopper" .. cool .. bikers that like fiddlin' with knobs .. awesome!!

Last edited:
Back