Fender Mustang II - rock tone test recording

Brian Miller

Hey guys,

I adore my Fender Mustang II for its clean and blues tones. Even though it's solid state, the clean/blues tones that come out of this $200 amp are killer when miked.

But I've always had trouble dialing in a great rock tone. Still, I wanted to have the option not to lug my Peavey JSX half stack out of its hiding place every time I want to do rock. Not to mention, that thing shatters windows.

Attached is my test recording of Green Day's "Basketcase". Not because I think it's a great song. It's just a rock song that chugs that I've played a million times.

EDIT: Here's a v2 with only the SM57 on both rhythm guitars, and an added boost in the 8k range, I'm thinking this setting needs more treble and less bass at the amp itself, so I wanted to simulate that in post.

So I dialed in the best rock tone I could get, which is on the Supersonic amp setting. Miked it up with an SM57 1" off center, and a Groove Tubes GT50 (large diaphragm) 1" off center the other way, both about 1.5" from the grill. Mixed in about 70/30 SM57/GT50. Les Paul on the left, souped up Jackson on the right. Solo is Les Paul, and has the addition of an MXR Distortion III adding a touch of gain. All guitars same amp settings, slightly different EQ treatment in post.

Threw some quick vox, bass, and did a 1 hr drum programming session. Here's the result.

What do you guys think of the guitar tone? No good? Good for the price, but not great overall? Good for solid state, but not if you have a tube option? Good all around? Great?

Thanks!

Brian

Attachments

• Basketcase mix v1.mp3
    7.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Mate, the guitar tones sound OK, bit thin (wasp in a jar style) although they sound a lot better when doubled.

If you want opinions on tone, you're best posting in The New Tone Thread.

If you want opinions on the mix as a whole you're better off posting in the MP3 mixing clinic.

Mate, the guitar tones sound OK, bit thin (wasp in a jar style) although they sound a lot better when doubled.

If you want opinions on tone, you're best posting in The New Tone Thread.

If you want opinions on the mix as a whole you're better off posting in the MP3 mixing clinic.

Not looking for mix. I did this whole thing start to finish in 3 hours on a whim, just to test out some rock tones. I'm trying to figure out the best rock guitar tone I can get from this $200 modeling amp, so I don't have to break out my 120w half stack at ear splitting volumes. So far the verdict is: break out the half stack. NO surprise there.

Yeah, it just sounds like a cheap amp at low volume.

What do you need the half stack for? How often do you get into a space where you can crank it? You could always go for something smaller?

Yeah, it just sounds like a cheap amp at low volume.

What do you need the half stack for? How often do you get into a space where you can crank it? You could always go for something smaller?

Believe it or not, it was pretty cranked. I'm caught in between two worlds. Ten years ago I was gigging with an 80s hair metal cover band, and another hard rock originals group. Now I'm a studio musician doing mostly acoustic rock and alt rock. I need to sell the JSX and get something better for my needs. The new Fender Bass breaker was amazing when I tested it. I've been testing Orange and Blackstar amps. Looking for 15w max. 5-8 watts is probably more than enough.

Get a Fender Princeton (Preferably the Blackface or Silverface Reissue) or a Vox AC-15. Both sound great on their own and they both play well with most pedals.

Just my opinion, of course. And there are many alternatives.

I tested out the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 today. Holy carp. That thing ROCKED. It went from crystal clean to classic rock, to high gain, and back. I backed the thing all the way to 1 watt and still the power, volume, and tone were killer. By far my favorite of all the low watt tube amps I've demoed. I couldn't stop playing it! This amp may be in my 2016...

Tiny Terror is a great amp, I tired one recently with a V30 and it sounded lovely.

I tested out the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 today. Holy carp. That thing ROCKED. It went from crystal clean to classic rock, to high gain, and back. I backed the thing all the way to 1 watt and still the power, volume, and tone were killer. By far my favorite of all the low watt tube amps I've demoed. I couldn't stop playing it! This amp may be in my 2016...

I have one. It gets the most use of any of my amps. It's a quirky amp that has both good tones and some awful ones. It took me a while to find the sounds I need. Not everyone bonds with them. You should be able to find it used. Get the head and 1x12 cab. And it glows a seductive blue!

I've got a Marshall 1936 2x12 and I've never heard anything that didn't sound great through it!

If you already have a cab you like, just get the head.

I play mine through a 1x10 most often. The TM18 also has a Redbox DI out that's surprising usable.

Busted out my JSX with Marshall 2x12 cab for a jam session today with a friend, who brought his Hughes & Kettner 36watt. Played the JSX for the first time in literally 3+ years. Absolutely unbelievable tube tone. The power is earth shattering. It made me weep at the thin, digital overdrive in the Fender Mustang II.

I definitely need to sell the JSX and pick up a H&K 18watt. Hopefully I can find a local buyer, because I definitely don't want to deal with shipping this beast of an amp head.

Back