Feedback on the metal mix needed

Which drum rig are you using? Superior? SSD? Drum Drops? Sample Tank? Someone around here should have some good ideas about base toms from any of those...I have the same problem. I listen to really good samples, then put them in my mix and they don't sound like really good samples...takes work and experimentation. Keep at it and you'll get there.

Ok, so I'm using EZDrummer 2 with:

- Metalheads
- Drumkit from Hell
- Metal Machine

expansion packs.

And ideas for toms? ;)

In agreement with all of the notes so far. I feel like since the drums have a "live" room sound, to some degree, that you need to match that sound on your vocal. right now, to me, it sounds like the vocal was recorded in a separate, sterile environment (which most vocal booths are). Maybe a quick delay on the vox? Also, on the guitars, maybe less energy above 4k and more energy around 1k - 2k? The guitars sound kind too scooped for my taste, lots of low end and highs, but then again, I'm more of a classic thrash metal guy, and less death metal.

I like the sound of the drums A7F uses, but he's got the kick I was talking about with the really floppy beater head. He's also got a LOT of toms. Pretty good drummer, as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA3ZQmQyTFw

I got The Rev's autograph a few weeks before he died, as well as a couple other members. Signed the front of the white album at Hard Rock in Chicago. I asked them if they had any extra tickets to the show and he replied "just do it the old fashioned way and sneak in".

How about that snare verb?

Back