feedback on my mix "sonics " etc

Ok so i tried to jimmy the the mastering settings ( attached ) but the problem persists. Im suspecting its the master buss comp.... first time ive used one in 20 years so im betting the house i set it up wrong. Anyway ...

what did i do ... reduced maximiser 0.5 db
relaxed thresholds on lower mids and bass comps
put a separate comp in a module between 55 and 65 hz to tame that region

the dynamic range is a bit better but that bass in conjunction with the increase of volume in the chorus is ( i suspect ) triggering the mix buss comp and its clamping down on the whole mix as a result. Using the Waves LA2A for mix buss .. possibly not the best to use but im in new territory when it comes to mix buss comping so im gonna mess it up for a bit i think ;...(

Attachments

• The Fall alt mst.mp3
    10.3 MB
the problem persists.

what did i do ... reduced maximiser 0.5 db
relaxed thresholds on lower mids and bass comps
put a separate comp in a module between 55 and 65 hz to tame that region

You're right, this didn't solve the problem.

Im suspecting its the master buss comp.... first time ive used one in 20 years so im betting the house i set it up wrong.

Using the Waves LA2A for mix buss ..

Turn off the LA2A on the mix bus and see how that sounds (then report back...).

EDIT: Let me preempt this slightly. I wouldn't be using an LA2A on the mix bus for this. It has variable release times given the strength of the input signal and you'll struggle to get this to sound right. I'd swap it out for an SSL style bus compressor and you'll have much more control.

Last edited:
You're right, this didn't solve the problem.

Turn off the LA2A on the mix bus and see how that sounds (then report back...).

EDIT: Let me preempt this slightly. I wouldn't be using an LA2A on the mix bus for this. It has variable release times given the strength of the input signal and you'll struggle to get this to sound right. I'd swap it out for an SSL style bus compressor and you'll have much more control.
Ill look at the SSL plug , lots of people like it from what i can tell. As for this mix i dont have any more time to play with it but i learned a lot about my limitations and its helped greatly with all your feedback what i need to improve/climatise my self to. So thanks guys for your time , its greatly appreciated :0)

I think the real problems with this mix haven't been discussed.

I would re-track the distorted guitars with a more "throaty" sound. These sound grainy, abrasive, and have no dimension. When they come in, they mask the attack of the drums and fight with the vocals. These electrics need a deeper tone to them to work with this song.

The vocals in the verses are about 2 or 3db too loud. They also lack some body in tone. I would look at a cut around 3-5Khz, and possibly futzing with the attack time on the compressor.

The LA2A is a poor choice for a mix buss compressor. The SSL, or the Fairchild are better choices, but myself, I don't really dig committing a compressor to the master buss. It takes a considerable amount of skill in mixing to know when that is just right. After 35 years of studio mixing, I haven't achieved that skill yet! :)
Hey Sonusman , thanks for the feedback. I agree on the guitars and refinements to the rest of the track but i wont be spending any more time on it. The mix buss suggestion is interesting , i have a Waves Fairchild Stereo and M/S comp ill try on the next mix. I liked the over all " glue " effect as an experiment even tho i set it up wrong and used the wrong comp. I heard a podcast recommending mix buss comp at the beginning of the project as opposed to adding it later as i did.

Prior to this track i hadnt used one in over 20 years

Hi Sonusman , thank you for the concern but the track was downloaded ( files ) from a web site called mix-off,, and i worked on it to get used to my temporary mix room while my studio is being refurbished... so im just getting my sea legs so to speak :0) in terms of time i spent approx 3 hours incl mastering for 3 versions.

I wasn't in a position to listen critically to this one for a few days, but finally pulled it up this morning.

I hate to say this, as a guitar player... but I would dial back the crunch guitar chords in both level, and take out a bit of the upper range. The drums and bass set up this great groove, and when the guitar kicks in, it still just washes out the rest of the sound.

I wasn't in a position to listen critically to this one for a few days, but finally pulled it up this morning.

I hate to say this, as a guitar player... but I would dial back the crunch guitar chords in both level, and take out a bit of the upper range. The drums and bass set up this great groove, and when the guitar kicks in, it still just washes out the rest of the sound.
Thanks Talisman, The guitars when i got them were quite clean , just barely breaking up .. so i put various over drives to beef up the sound. I dont like the guitar sounds i got either , way too gnarly in the 2.4 and 3.2 k regions and the solution for me if i were to finish this, is re track them, not to say the sounds werent well tracked originally , they were fine its just what i did to them ... traditionally when ive tracked guitars my self i spend a lot of time getting the sound right at the source and i will generally be happy with it ( at the monitor , not in the room ) before recording them.

Back