Favourite Drummers

Gene Hoglan (Strapping Young Lad among others) for his doublebass work and just being an all-around great drummer
Neil Peart
Mike Portnoy
Mike Portnoy again :)
Dave Lombardo (he has his moments)
Dave Weckl
Terry Bozzio
Definitely not Danny Carey. The dude has yet to amaze or impress me. Not living up to his hype.

Jeff Porcaro (I know people have already put him on the list!)

Simon Philips (Thanks to virtual.ray for having remembered him...)

You might have guessed it, I'm a serious TOTO fan, and I mean serious. By the way are there any other Toto fans amongst you - I would love to hear from you guys!

And to finish the list: Vinnie Colaiuta (I don't think anyone else has mentionned him.

SM

I wonder just how much Tool you have been exposed to? Not much is my guess.

I cant agree with Neil Peart at all. I have yet to hear anything from Rush that I can even respect.

That's a drag KingNothing, your missing out on some talented musicians. Should
maybe check them out again. Stuff off of 2112, Grace Under Pressure, Fly By Night, Permanent Waves. Not a big fan of their later stuff.

Ok,
Keith Moon (one of my favorites)
John Bonham
Dave Weckl
Buddy Rich
Max Roach
Terry Bozzio (I'm a Zappa fan)
Bill Bruford (He's awesome)
Vinnie C. (Zappa also)
The Two Chads:
Chad Smith
Chad Wackerman
I really can't post Ringo Starr as one of my favorite drummers here because, I love the Beatles, but if you listen enough to them Ringo was pretty mediocre.

Eric

[This message has been edited by FBstdminime (edited 07-05-2000).]

Ya, maybe you're right. I think it has something to do with my passionate hatred for their singer, who for years had me and my buddies fooled on his gender.

OK, I'll add my few rubles here, in no particular order...

Ringo Starr -- Not technically proficient, but one heck of a timekeeper.

Roger Taylor -- Knew how to tune his drums. Check out the fill at the end of the last verse of "Fat Bottom Girls"

Neil Peart -- Do I need to say why? Okay, how about the use of wood blocks in "Time Stand Still."

Andrew Sturmer -- He could play while standing and singing and still sound great. Check out any live Jellyfish you can find...

MikeDog

Bill Bruford
Vinnie C.
Pete Erskine
Simon Phillips etc..

Anyone mentioned Jon Hiseman? (ex. Colloseum, Paraphernalia)
He does a solo where he does single&double-stroke rolls with the snare and double kick, speeding one up and slowing one down AT THE SAME TIME!!

Oh and Ringo?
Technically useless but 10 out of 10 for feel. Underestimated. Check out "Come Together" on "Abbey Road"

In terms of famous guys who I'd most like to have playing drums for me, it would be (in no particular order):

1) Stewart Copeland
2) Neil Peart
3) Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche)

I feel each of these guys gets the perfect blend of complex and interesting without going over the top and spoiling the mood of the song. Walking that line comfortably is a valuable skill.

One guy I never hear mentioned but I really love is Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy. He was so inventive, and his beats where such a catalyst for great songs.

Steve Gadd
Keith Moon
Ginger Baker
John Bonham
Chad Smith (Chili Peppers)
Richie Hayward (Little Feat)
Phil Leavitt (Dada)
Eric Kretz (STP)

I forgot to mention two of my favorites. Real monsters both:

Carter Bruford (Dave Matthews Band). The guy is absolutely amazing.

Jonathan Moffett (Madonna's tour drummer). I caught him on a video tape of Madonna's last show (in Paris) from her "Blonde Ambition" tour. He completely blew me away. Just an amazing drummer.

I'd be thrilled to play with either one of 'em.

[This message has been edited by CharlesThomas (edited 07-12-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingNothing:
Ok man. To tell you the truth, I am not that familiar with Dream Theater. I have heard of them, know who they are, but dont listen to em. I like to think of myself as pretty well versed in modern rock music, and I have yet to hear anyone better than Daney Carey. That dude continually amazes me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude!! Go out and buy Awake and Images and Words. Do so immediately. Just go noW!! :)

WHERE'S CARTER?!?! :) HE'S THE MAN!!!

Here it is:

-Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band)
-Sean Kinney (Alice In Chains, Ozzy)
-Danny Carey (How can he not impress?
The man is immaculate)
-Scotty Rockenfield (Queensryche)
-Neil Peart
-Dave Silveria (Korn)
-Mike Portnoy

Honorable Mention:

-Vinnie Paul (Pantera)
-The dude who plays set for Slipknot. He
has to be on some kinda speed....
-Staind's drummer (Can't remember his name)

I also have to add (how did I forget?)
-Morgan Rose (Sevendust)
-Don Famularo

[This message has been edited by drumdummie (edited 07-15-2000).]

I was kind of shocked that the guys who were into Portnory hadn't mentioned Mark Zonder from Fates Warning!
I personally feel that Mark Zonder is definitely a much better drummer than Portnoy is. To Portnoy's thing is all about double bass.
Mark Zonder is definitely one of the most inventive drummers in the world today.

Tim

Back