Fast Track Ultra?

nickporter

Okay, so I am an extreme newbie at recording (this is my first post), and I've been looking to upgrade to something that actually sounds decent. After looking on this forum and a few other places, I thought that the Fast Track Ultra would be perfect for what I need to do. However, after looking at reviews and reading M-Audio's fora, I'm seeing that there are a lot of hardware/software issues with it. I'm pretty recently out of college and can't afford to throw away $300 on a nonworking product. Can anyone shed some insight on this product or recommend a suitable alternative? I'd like to be able to record vocals, an electric guitar and a bass simultaneously if possible which was why I was looking at the FT Ultra instead of the Pro, for instance.

Thanks,
Nick

cl had one for $175...but there's others brand new at $200, tascam 1641 and us 800 are around $200.... I have a 122 that works fine, for $50 but with a live band at times a inimum 6 in/6out would be nice.

seems all these have such mixed opinions, from "fine" to "sucks"

I just started a home studio and got the fast track ultra. plugged into a mac running logic pro studio it is working great I have been nothing but pleased with how simple it is and how good it sounds.

I have the Fast Track Ultra running into an Imac with pro tools 9. It hasn't given me any problems at all. I record each track individually though so I can't speak to recording multiple tracks simultaneously. I have done a lot of stereo mic'ing though and it works great. Good sound reproduction, and its built pretty solid. All in all I'd say about the best for the price, at least by my research and experience.

I use the FT Ultra and it works beautifully. no problem using pro tools 8. I love it, great quality and size for the price. also very sturdy. I'd recommend it.

The Fast Track Ultra is a good machine.
In fact, anything from the Fast Track Pro and up.
M Audio is a fine brand, I like them but when you buy their budget gear you get what you pay for.
Good USB Interfaces usually start at around $200 US.

I have recorded 4 tracks at a time no problems at all:) just make sure you set it up your inputs right when you set the tracks to record

The Fast Track Ultra is a good machine.
In fact, anything from the Fast Track Pro and up.
M Audio is a fine brand, I like them but when you buy their budget gear you get what you pay for.
Good USB Interfaces usually start at around $200 US.

I agree...I'm seeing this more and more in the positive reviews...

I have been running the Fast track ultra for years now with Pro Tools 8 and 9, also runs fine with Sonar 8 and 8.5 and Sony Sound Forge 9. I run through an Imac and a Macbook. I have used all four pre amps at once with no problem and no latency. Also its great that you can get two more external preamps and go into 5 and 6 on the back for 6 channels plus if you have a SPIDF pre you can get two more. So it can expand up to 8 channels all at once. I love the little thing and use it to record my friends bands every now and then. Plus the two headphone outs with their own volume control is a must have for tracking two things at once. If you need more headphones to go around you will need a headphone amp.

Speakers and Headphones plug directly into the Fast Track Ultra and you will not be using the headphone or speaker ports on your computer anymore. (Unless you unplug the Fast Track, but let's keep it simple).

noticed most are using imacs what about PC users? also does the fast track ultra actually work great with VST's i cant play instruments but its niceto have them inputs incase a buddy pops over with his mic as well as mine, or even a guitarist. Most of my tracks are all going to be VST synths 8+ tracks

Back