Fake Les Paul?

I cant tell, I dont know shit about this stuff, Greg would know. Does the binding have the nibs at the end of the frets? A lot of the fakes Ive seen on the internet dont have that.

The cut on top of the headstock is not clean, the angle of the logo doesn't match other LP's, the serial # configuration is exactly like website show as the counterfeit ones. These all came with a custom hardshell case (w/slash logo) which the seller does not have. And most importantly, he only wants $650.00 for it and the cheapest I can find used ones for is 3 grand. I aint that lucky!

Sad, but true. If you google Serial #00170420 the first thing that comes up is "Fake Gibsons"...

The cut on top of the headstock is not clean, the angle of the logo doesn't match other LP's, the serial # configuration is exactly like website show as the counterfeit ones. These all came with a custom hardshell case (w/slash logo) which the seller does not have. And most importantly, he only wants $650.00 for it and the cheapest I can find used ones for is 3 grand. I aint that lucky!

No one in their right mind would sell that guitar for 650....unless it's fake, which it is.

But that doesn't really mean it's crap. Some of those fakes are pretty good. You could have a nice guitar for 650. Many of those fakes are made in the Epiphone Korean slave factory by workers doing side jobs for extra cash. So at the very least you could be getting an Epiphone. A setup and pickup swap could make that guitar great.

Or it could be a total piece of shit.

You need to handle it and see for yourself if you can.

No one in their right mind would sell that guitar for 650....unless it's fake, which it is.

But that doesn't really mean it's crap. Some of those fakes are pretty good. You could have a nice guitar for 650. Many of those fakes are made in the Epiphone Korean slave factory by workers doing side jobs for extra cash. So at the very least you could be getting an Epiphone. A setup and pickup swap could make that guitar great.

Or it could be a total piece of shit.

You need to handle it and see for yourself if you can.

I wasn't aware Epiphone had a Korean factory (until now). I assumed they were all in China. My experience of Korean guitars - owning one myself and having played a few is good - if that's a Korean guitar it could still be a decent deal. Even though owning it won't feel like you own a Gibson. You're getting into the sort of money you can get a Les Paul studio for - I looked at one recently and loved it.

no idea what yours is,but the "good" "brand new" fake Chinese gibbo`s start at around $250 .. going up to around $350 .. i only looked at "standard" types at a resellers site ... will be much cheaper from the manufacturer ...

at $650 there is good profit in it,for him (unless he's already been stung) ... few months ago on ebay a uk guy sold off his chibson collection,had about 12 of these things,swapped out pickups n pro setups .. they went for £125 to around £250 ...

it might be a great sounding player .. imo at $150 its worth a look ;)

no idea what yours is,but the "good" "brand new" fake Chinese gibbo`s start at around $250 .. going up to around $350 .. i only looked at "standard" types at a resellers site ... will be much cheaper from the manufacturer ...

at $650 there is good profit in it,for him (unless he's already been stung) ... few months ago on ebay a uk guy sold off his chibson collection,had about 12 of these things,swapped out pickups n pro setups .. they went for £125 to around £250 ...

it might be a great sounding player .. imo at $150 its worth a look ;)

It really depends on what kind of fake it is. Not all fakes are equal. Those Chinese AliExpress fakes are crap. Twisted necks, terrible frets, balsa wood bodies, etc. They look great but they need a lot of work to be playable sometimes. The pickups are always total garbage.

Back