Face Down - not your Average White Band ... and video!

K-dub

Hey All - I got busy with my live unit and this is the first one back in the studio for a while. It is a brick of a wave ... but I went for a VERY aggressive mix with this one.

Hope all is well w/ youz folks! What do you think?

Kev-

Oh ... and some vid of my new unit doing a live tune ...

Just me, but I don't feel this style matches the aggressiveness of the mix. Song's cool, but the mix well...completely unlistenable for me.

Did the ear bud monitors. If it's going to be that loud ... and with all the energy bunched in the mids; it needs to be trimmed accordingly.

The vocals are really lost throughout.

Have you posted a different arrangement of this song before? That lead line sounds familiar.

The vocals are really lost throughout.

Have you posted a different arrangement of this song before? That lead line sounds familiar.

Yes. Very different arrangement. No horns etc ... organ way down.

I didn't like that mix approach (too tame) ... so I pulled the vox back -- eliminated half of them ... and brought the pounding rhythm section forward ... to kind of mosh it all up in a pseudo electronica pulse.

I do think in my aggression to hype it, I over compressed. I want a certain clarity there ... but it's got perhaps too much of the glassy sheen caused by compression. I didn't let it breath, and when something is overly hit hard, the recording gets a nasally mid-range quality to it.

I don't think this will be my last pass at it. Thanks for the comments, bud!

Back