Face Down - not your Average White Band ... and video!

K-dub

Hey All - I got busy with my live unit and this is the first one back in the studio for a while. It is a brick of a wave ... but I went for a VERY aggressive mix with this one.

Hope all is well w/ youz folks! What do you think?

Kev-

Oh ... and some vid of my new unit doing a live tune ...

sammydix

Just me, but I don't feel this style matches the aggressiveness of the mix. Song's cool, but the mix well...completely unlistenable for me.

K-dub

Did the ear bud monitors. If it's going to be that loud ... and with all the energy bunched in the mids; it needs to be trimmed accordingly.

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
The vocals are really lost throughout.

Have you posted a different arrangement of this song before? That lead line sounds familiar.

K-dub

The vocals are really lost throughout.

Have you posted a different arrangement of this song before? That lead line sounds familiar.

Yes. Very different arrangement. No horns etc ... organ way down.

I didn't like that mix approach (too tame) ... so I pulled the vox back -- eliminated half of them ... and brought the pounding rhythm section forward ... to kind of mosh it all up in a pseudo electronica pulse.

I do think in my aggression to hype it, I over compressed. I want a certain clarity there ... but it's got perhaps too much of the glassy sheen caused by compression. I didn't let it breath, and when something is overly hit hard, the recording gets a nasally mid-range quality to it.

I don't think this will be my last pass at it. Thanks for the comments, bud!