EZdrummer hi-hat terminology

oboedrew

I recently purchased the EZdrummer plugin, but I'm an oboist (not a drummer), so some of the terminology (mostly hi-hat stuff) from the keyboard layout is unfamiliar to me. Can anyone explain the following in layman's terms? Specifically, I'm interested in the mechanics of how the sounds are produced. I'm trying to visualize where the hats are struck, etc.

hats pedal chick
hats closed edge
hats foot splash
open hats 1
open hats 2
open hats 3
closed hats
hats pedal
open hats
hats open max
hats closed tip
hats tight tip
hats seq hard
hats seq soft

and also...

ride bow
ride bell
ride punch

Thanks,
Drew

I'm familiar with the sounds. But that's not the issue. I'm trying to understand and visualize how those sounds are being produced. For example, "hats tight edge" ... tight what? and edge of what?

Cheers,
Drew

I'm familiar with the sounds. But that's not the issue. I'm trying to understand and visualize how those sounds are being produced. For example, "hats tight edge" ... tight what? and edge of what?

Cheers,
Drew

Lol. Listen to the sounds. Are you gonna program some drums based off of names without actually listening to it? :confused:

Without hearing it, I'm gonna assume that "hats tight edge" means......

Hats closed tight, struck on the edge.

Greg, clearly you're not reading my posts. As I've already written, I own the software and am familiar with the sounds. I'm not asking for a tutorial on programming beats with unfamiliar sounds. I'm asking for an explanation of unfamiliar terminology in layman's terms. I'm an oboist trying to better understand the mechanics of drumming. I'm trying to visualize what motions produce the specific sounds I'm hearing in this software. If you're not going to read my posts, kindly don't reply. I'm in no hurry, so I'm happy to wait more helpful replies.

Cheers,
Drew

I did read your posts. What you're asking can easily be answered by simply listening to the sounds. If you don't know what the terminology means, click the button and hear what it sounds like. "Hats tight edge" and "Ride Bell" will probably make perfect sense when you hear it. The motions and mechanics are simple. The drummer hits a piece of the drumkit with a stick. Have you never seen a drummer before? They move their limbs and hit things with their feet and with sticks in their hands. I'm not trying to be cute or clever. Maybe you're not being clear enough with what you're asking. :confused:

haha this thread show loads of promise :D

Hey Drew...the hi hat is kinda like two cymbals together with the bottom one inverted if that makes sense....

it has a footpedal that when pressed brings them both together...so hats closed edge would mean the pedal is pressed and the closed cymbals are hit on their edge...splash would be when they are open, more of a regular cymbal sound etc etc

They can also be played without being struck by using the footpedal

maybe this will help you visualise

HiHat.jpg

The ride cymbal has a dome in the middle which is called the bell (because of its shape obviously) though you can have flat top rides as well though I dont think EZ drummer does..the bow is the part from the bell to the edge..if I remember correctly (Im no drummer either)

It is generally struck continously rythmatically through a piece rather than as a crescendo crash...

I am now like a drumming god! :D

Greg_L said:
I did read your posts. What you're asking can easily be answered by simply listening to the sounds. If you don't know what the terminology means, click the button and hear what it sounds like. "Hats tight edge" and "Ride Bell" will probably make perfect sense when you hear it. The motions and mechanics are simple. The drummer hits a piece of the drumkit with a stick. Have you never seen a drummer before? They move their limbs and hit things with their feet and with sticks in their hands. I'm not trying to be cute or clever. Maybe you're not being clear enough with what you're asking.

Clearly it's not as simple as "the drummer hits a piece of the drumkit with a stick." I'm not a drummer, but I know enough about drums to understand there are different parts of a stick and different parts of a drum or cymbal. A single drum can produce many kinds of sounds. I'm trying to better visualize the mechanics involved.

At this point I'm assuming you're not a drummer either. My question was really intended for drummers. I appreciate that you're trying, and I'll take your word that you're not trying to be cute or clever, but it's just not helpful to suggest that merely hearing a sound provides knowledge of how it was produced. If you asked me to explain the mechanics of an oboe reed, I wouldn't say, "Just listen to an oboe CD and you'll understand how it works."

Cheers,
Drew

it has a footpedal that when pressed brings them both together...so hats closed edge would mean the pedal is pressed and the closed cymbals are hit on their edge...splash would be when they are open, more of a regular cymbal sound etc etc

Thanks, kcearl. So, if I understand correctly, "hats tight edge" indicates the upper surface of the upper cymbal is struck toward the edge, correct? Is it typically struck at the veeeeeery edge, or inward slightly?

Also, what would be the difference between "hats closed edge" and "hats tight edge?" In the latter, is the pedal simply held more tightly to press the cymbals together harder?

The ride cymbal has a dome in the middle which is called the bell (because of its shape obviously) though you can have flat top rides as well though I dont think EZ drummer does..the bow is the part from the bell to the edge..if I remember correctly (Im no drummer either)

Ah, so "bell" and "bow" refer to parts of the cymbal. Excellent. How about "ride punch?" Is "punch" also a section of the cymbal?

Thanks,
Drew

Thanks, kcearl. So, if I understand correctly, "hats tight edge" indicates the upper surface of the upper cymbal is struck toward the edge, correct? Is it typically struck at the veeeeeery edge, or inward slightly?

I would think that the tip of the stick hits inward slightly but Im no drummer

Also, what would be the difference between "hats closed edge" and "hats tight edge?" In the latter, is the pedal simply held more tightly to press the cymbals together harder?

Id imagine so

Ah, so "bell" and "bow" refer to parts of the cymbal. Excellent. How about "ride punch?" Is "punch" also a section of the cymbal?

Thanks,
Drew

no idea...punch to me is giving it a harder hit to punch through the mix...

I see I've reached the limit of my drumming knowledge about as quickly as i expected :)

Playing and recording actual drums seems to be a lot easier than using this crazy software with the wongo terminology....but I wouldn't know. I'm a flatulist, not a drummer.

i did three years flatuli lessons but stopped when my breasts appeared...I've been playing with them ever since...and I'm a guy...allegedly

I've got ezdrummer too and I swear I never have seen the names of the sounds or terminology, I just go by the sounds.... "Does that sound good?", "yup, I'll use that one." The groove files have names, so there is a bit of a clue with them, but I do a lot of editing and simply audition the different drum hits in the piano roll editor of Cubase until I find the one I like.

And definitely, Greg_L is not a drummer. Anyone who can do double bass drum rolls accurately at 180BPM is not a drummer, he's insane!!!

On mine there's a whole bunch of great sounds that I don't use simply because I don't like the name. :mad:

Back