EZdrummer hi-hat terminology

... this forum isn't the ONLY place I'm looking for answers...

Don't forget to look under your bed. < cowbell >

If hats seq hard/soft sound very electronic I would guess that they'd be electronic "sequenced" type hihats like on a TR-808.

In some cases, the sounds on the videos correspond nicely to certain EZdrummer sounds, and then I have a visual of the mechanics producing those sounds.

Looks like you've started to find some answers to your original question, so I would think it's safe to ask this now without getting any farther off topic than things already have been...

Why would you need to visualize these sounds? I would think that a sample-by-sample listening session would give you an idea of what you're working with and could help for any future reference when you're creating drum tracks.

I'm not questioning your musicianship, so please don't assume so and take any offense. I'm just not quite understanding your perspective. From my point of view, the sounds define themselves...but I've been working with live drummers for fifteen years. I've already got a good idea from memory which device makes what sound when struck in a specific manner.

Outside of that...how are you liking that program? I've got EZDrummer with the Country, Jazz and FunkMasters expansion packs. It was a bit tough on the budget, but it's made a huge difference in my recordings.

If hats seq hard/soft sound very electronic I would guess that they'd be electronic "sequenced" type hihats like on a TR-808.

Nah, they don't really sound electronic. They're similar to some of the other closed hat sounds... just subtle differences in timbre.

Why would you need to visualize these sounds? I would think that a sample-by-sample listening session would give you an idea of what you're working with and could help for any future reference when you're creating drum tracks.

I'm not questioning your musicianship, so please don't assume so and take any offense. I'm just not quite understanding your perspective. From my point of view, the sounds define themselves...but I've been working with live drummers for fifteen years. I've already got a good idea from memory which device makes what sound when struck in a specific manner.

No worries, no offense taken. It's a fair question. I think you have to understand something about how a real instrument is played in order to realistically replicate it with a plugin. If I don't visualize what the hands and feet are doing, I might write something that can only be played by a three-armed man.

But otherwise I think you're right. I'm definitely looking for more detail than is strictly necessary. I'm just curious that way. And sometimes I learn something that doesn't seem to have any practical application at first, but then it comes in handy down the road.

Anyway, I'm not just looking for the quickest route to good MIDI sequences. I'm kinda enjoying learning about drums along the way. I didn't deal with them much when I was studying Beethoven and Brahms symphonies.

Outside of that...how are you liking that program? I've got EZDrummer with the Country, Jazz and FunkMasters expansion packs. It was a bit tough on the budget, but it's made a huge difference in my recordings.

Well, it's easy to use, as the name implies. I think it took all of about ten minutes to grasp the details of the program... but learning to use it effectively might take a bit longer.

Cheers,
Drew

I think you have to understand something about how a real instrument is played in order to realistically replicate it with a plugin. If I don't visualize what the hands and feet are doing, I might write something that can only be played by a three-armed man.
I see your point.
Though you may not necessarily appreciate the manner in which Greg answered, his brief pictorial gave you the most relevant answer. You'll probably want to get your hands on a small kit to get a real perspective on playing the drums. Learning to play the kit will help you understand the syncopation and how realistic some beats/rhythms would be. Working with a real drummer when you're building these grooves could come in a close second.

But otherwise I think you're right. I'm definitely looking for more detail than is strictly necessary. I'm just curious that way. And sometimes I learn something that doesn't seem to have any practical application at first, but then it comes in handy down the road.
I don't know what type of music you're creating, but if you know of a similar artist or group that uses drums similar to the style you're working with, emulating those drums could help get the ideas recorded quicker. I can't dispute the idea of actually knowing what to play and how to play it, but that may take some time to really get into playing drums.

Anyway, I'm not just looking for the quickest route to good MIDI sequences. I'm kinda enjoying learning about drums along the way.
Hey, if you've got time and you're enjoying learning the drums, more power to you. Don't forget the MIDI sequences, though. That could come in handy while writing music.

Though you may not necessarily appreciate the manner in which Greg answered, his brief pictorial gave you the most relevant answer.

Brief pictorial? Ah, you must mean kcearl's initial post. Yes, that was helpful.

I don't know what type of music you're creating, but if you know of a similar artist or group that uses drums similar to the style you're working with, emulating those drums could help get the ideas recorded quicker.

100% agreed. Nobody creates music ex nihilo.

Hey, if you've got time and you're enjoying learning the drums, more power to you. Don't forget the MIDI sequences, though. That could come in handy while writing music.

Hehe, well... "learning ABOUT drums," not "learning drums." I have no plans to actually play drums. The oboe takes up enough of my time already. And drums are so dang loud. :)

Cheers,
Drew

Whatever you do...we wanna hear when you get it to where you feel it's presentable. I'm curious. :)

Yeah, I'll post links in the "MP3 Mixing Clinic" sub-forum. Once I get something presentable, I'm sure I'll be looking for feedback on my mixes, since mixing is new to me too.

Cheers,
Drew

I don't know about you (well, I suppose I do since you just told us...), but I do that on purpose!

Ha! Well, realism certainly isn't inherently better. I just like it as a starting point... again, just to better understand the mechanics of the instruments. Maybe someday I'll branch out and write stuff for three-armed drummers. :)

Cheers,
Drew

The only way i see any of this being relevant is if you are ever planning to play your compostions live.

But for the most part when i am programming if i add a crash or ride note, i take out the hat note. Just a perosna lrule i have. It may weaken it but whatever. Chances are if dude were to strike a crash he won't be striking a hi hat or whatever?

unless its a hat foot note, then its believeable.

but for the most part.

If it sounds good do it. i don't know what any of that crap is or means. I just go with the sound of things.

I'm trying to find the same answers as the OP.

I came across this in my search:

seq (hard and soft) are Hats sequences of closed hits chopped in individual hits to guarantee a certain lineage between them. they are not velocity sensitive hence one note dedicated to hard hits and another to soft(er).

Back