Expanding the number of mic pres on my US-16x08

xxdavesworldxx

Hi. I understand that the 16x08 has a mic only mode whereby the signal from IN1 will go to to out 1, IN2 to out 2 etc. at line levels
If I was to connect the line outs from 1 to 8 on a 16x08 in mic only mode to the line ins (IN9 - 16) on a second 16x08 connected to my DAW would I effectively get 16 mic pres into my DAW? Of course I would try this myself but only have 1 interface and don't want to invest in another if this strategy won't work. Cheers.

OK, this model has 16 input, 10 preamps 1-8 XLR and phantom power. If you want more, you would add preamps to channels 11-16. 9-10 could be dynamic mics or you would need something to give it phantom power.

If you had a mixer with multi outs, you could route those outs to 11-16 and use them. Adding another US16-08 gains you nothing as you can only have one active interface in your DAW on Window PCs. I have heard on Apple PCs you can have more. Someone with an Apple computer would have to answer that question.

You could add three of these: Mic Pres to your 11-16 to get you a full 16 channel mics. Maybe others have better ideas, if you just have some line outputs you want to route, then you just plug those in 11-16.

Thanks. I wouldn't be plugging the second 16-08 into the computer. I'd be using it in standalone mode effectively as a mixer. Given the low cost of the unit I'm thinking it could be a cost effective way of getting an extra 8 mic pres. The other unit I've been looking at doing the same thing with is the Presonus Firepod as I believe it also has a standalone capability with its 8 mic pres matched to its 8 line outs. But they're getting a bit old. I probably just need to hold of one or the other from somewhere and try it out.

Yes, as I was looking for just preamps, what I linked to was on the cheaper end of the price range. Most cheap mixers do not have multi channel outputs. But the main thing is, getting the levels up to use channels 11-16. 9/10 I use for DI of guitar and bass.

The 16x08 will work in mixer mode. Its section 7, page 22 in the user manual. It assigns the mic preamps directly to the line outs of channels 1-8. You should be able to use the second interface to go from mic input to the line outs to the line inputs of the first to give 16 mic inputs total.

Make sure you raise the line out knob on the front for channels 1-2. The rest of the channels will be fine. Also, set the switches for channels 9-10 to line, not instrument. Check to make sure you match the output levels (-10 or +4 dBu).

Its a quick and easy way to go from 8 to 16 mic channels. You will need Balanced patch chords to go from the line outs to the line ins between the units.

The 16x08 will work in mixer mode. Its section 7, page 22 in the user manual. It assigns the mic preamps directly to the line outs of channels 1-8. You should be able to use the second interface to go from mic input to the line outs to the line inputs of the first to give 16 mic inputs total.

Make sure you raise the line out knob on the front for channels 1-2. The rest of the channels will be fine. Also, set the switches for channels 9-10 to line, not instrument. Check to make sure you match the output levels (-10 or +4 dBu).

Its a quick and easy way to go from 8 to 16 mic channels. You will need Balanced patch chords to go from the line outs to the line ins between the units.
Thanks for your reply. I'm assuming you mean raise the line out knob on the front for channels 1-2 on the mixer unit and set the levels (-10 or +4) on channels 11-16 on the unit connected to the computer. That makes sense to me. Just keeping my eye out for a cheapish second hand unit to use as the mixer. It doesn't even need to be able to be synched with the computer as I won't be plugging it in. Cheers.

Back