Ever tried to write a song to win back someone you love?

Scriabin

I try every day and fall helplessly short. I procrastinated for 10 years and now she's moved three states away. I'm engaged to a new girl who's beautiful, fun, and a doctor...yet, my mind still drifts towards another. I don't know if its denial or false hope. Maybe I believe that somehow I can write a song that will miraclously find its way to her and have her run back to me. Has anyone out there had luck with with writing a song like that?
Peter Gabriel came pretty damn close with "In Your Eyes"

Women should come with warning labels...

Yep! Im afraid so!

Funnily enough, I wrote a song for about my ex when I was on tour in Ireland - it was called "Your Eyes", the lyrics were slushy and depressing, but hey at least I had the inspiration! Managed to pen about 5 or 6 other songs along the same lines.

She loved the song and wanted a copy - but I didnt feel the recording was good enough (being picky as usual) - mainly due to the fact that I cant really sing or play piano - so I didnt do her a copy.

WOW - amazing question!

One time I bet a friend 100 bucks that I could get this chick (who we had already established was totally not interested) to a party (already planned, so there was a hard deadline to the bet) as my date.

Bryan Adams 'Everything I Do' was a hit then and I was convinced that writing her a tune that strong would do the trick.

Of course songs like that are built in a sterile lab, so nothing I created was quite suited to the task...

Scriabin said:
I try every day and fall helplessly short. I procrastinated for 10 years and now she's moved three states away. I'm engaged to a new girl who's beautiful, fun, and a doctor...yet, my mind still drifts towards another. I don't know if its denial or false hope. Maybe I believe that somehow I can write a song that will miraclously find its way to her and have her run back to me. Has anyone out there had luck with with writing a song like that?
Peter Gabriel came pretty damn close with "In Your Eyes"

Women should come with warning labels...

you're ENGAGED and your still dreaming of someone else???? That doesn't sound very fair to Dr. YourCurrentGirlfriend. Did you ever stop to think what kind of effect it would have on your fiancee if she knew that your feelings for a 10 years ago ex were so strong that you were still thinking about ways to get her back? If I were in her shoes - hell I have been in her shoes and it was torture. I lost 10 pounds in two months -- (I'm already skinny) i really loved this guy, and all I could think of was "I'm not good enough. She was better than me, cleverer than me, more beautiful than me, more dynamic, more seductive, more enticing ... better better better and I will always be not good enough for him" I felt like this guy was never completely present when he was with me.

How could you go and get engaged, set out to make a promise for life with one woman, when you are always thinking about another? I just don't understand ....

you think women should come with warning labels? try dating men. nothings runs hot and cold like men. Today your the pinnacle of the world, 8 weeks later - chopped livah!!

serously, my friend, you should really think of the effect these kind of feelings can have on the person who loves you, and who is with you now.

ps - that much being said, I have a good girl freind who is doing the same thing with the two guys in her life, she complains about the one she's with, & when they start to work things out & get closer, suddenly she's writing a letter to her ex (5 years) that they should try one more time for real. I told her to sit on that one for a while.

didnt R Kelly sing "keep it on the down low". you might want to have a bunch of other songs you wrote lying around when you start trying to write that one....that'll be your cover. tell your fiancee that your trying to go through all your old songs and think of a new situation to write a song. yes i wrote a song to win back someone i loved....didnt get her...but the sympathy sex from other women was pretty good. the song was good enough to make another woman cry...and then a few open mic nights later she got up on stage and we sang it as a duet. the only problem is when someone comes up to you and says "i wrote these lyrics...can you put some music to it?" that really pisses me off. when i say it comes with a $50-75 price tag then they rethink that idea.

distortedrumble said:
yes i wrote a song to win back someone i loved....didnt get her...but the sympathy sex from other women was pretty good. the song was good enough to make another woman cry...and then a few open mic nights later she got up on stage and we sang it as a duet. .

(Lalya Nahar is on the rampage)

You got sex from one woman because another was on your mind??? I doan get it! If i had known the guy I liked had such strong feelings for his ex, I wouldn't have gotten involved ...

one thing for me with relationships, I never go back, when its Over its OVER

makes life a lot easier

Thank you for all the good responses. Never looking back does make life easier...but not necessarily happier.

Scriabin said:
Thank you for all the good responses. Never looking back does make life easier...but not necessarily happier.
One of the most intelligent things I've ever heard. Seriously.

thats true. but sometimes you have to weigh what you have now vs. what you could have. is that a risk worth taking? cause remember....hell hath no fury like a woman scorned..and your woman is a doctor. she took the hypocratic oath to save lives.....so she has a duty to bring you back after killing you. be careful about that.

About 30 years ago, a wise old guy used an interesting saying, when I was tormenting about a lost love that I was hoping I could win back. After many years, I have found this to be true.

"Once the bread is sliced, you can never make the loaf whole again".

If your relationship was not strong enough to keep together it seems unlikley that a song can somehow fix it.

mikeh said:
About 30 years ago, a wise old guy used an interesting saying, when I was tormenting about a lost love that I was hoping I could win back. After many years, I have found this to be true.

"Once the bread is sliced, you can never make the loaf whole again".

If your relationship was not strong enough to keep together it seems unlikley that a song can somehow fix it.

WAIT A SECOND....I saw that episode on 'Kung Fu', too!

( :) sorry, I couldn't resist)

Warning!

Man, you need to seriously re-consider what you are about to do. Even if you abandon this notion of getting back your ex, it's ok to think about your exes here and there we all do, the fact that you considered acting upon this fantasy seriously enough to disclose it in a public forum under the guise of a "songwriting question" says to me that you do not want to marry your girlfriend. At least not for the right reasons. Think real fucking seriously about why you are engaged before you fuck up two peoples lives. The pain and inconvienience of cancelling a wedding is a lot less than the suffering of a misconcieved marriage. Just think about it. It is serious business.

You'll want to use Dorian mode, make sure to include the secondary dominant of the III in there somewhere. That combined with at least one instance of a deceptive cadence between the second chorus and the bridge is virtually guaranteed to win back ex-GF's.

Seriously, dude, what are you thinking? You want Dr Phil, not the songwriting forum.

Hey lo-viscosity poultry, methinks you're showing off a bit there :) Very funny tho'. Just off to get my dictionary....

So the premise is that in order to win back a woman who has left you write a song?

I wouldn't even think of doing that. How silly.

In any case would you really want to win back a woman who was so shallow and fickle that she would come back to you because of a song!

I think those who believe this have been reading too much romantic fiction.

From my experience if the relationaship breaks down to the extent that a woman leaves, there is something FUNDAMENTALY wrong that no amount of songs will fix!

It's very undignified for one partner to be chasing after the one whose gone, I mean have they no pride? it should be all about mutual attraction, mutual respect, or nothing.

Back