ES57 (SM57 Clones)

I've got 3 SM57's and a Sennheiser e609... should I buy a pack of 3 and see if they're any good for maybe toms or something? Or is it not worth it for a little coloring difference on the toms, since I'm quite happy with my e609 for guitar.

warlock110 said:
where did you guys get these things? i want one to test :) i have an sm 58... let see if it really sound da same.

I don't think they're claiming that they sound the same, although it would be interesting to hear clips of the two on the same source.

I have a bunch of the ES57s... they don't sound like SM57s at all. They actually sound closer to MD421s, with a bigger rise in the 1K range. Hotter output, response not quite as smooth sounding. Verdict? Totally worth the money paid for them. Great utility mics, and they sound great on heavy guitars.

markitzero said:
I have a bunch of the ES57s... they don't sound like SM57s at all. They actually sound closer to MD421s, with a bigger rise in the 1K range. Hotter output, response not quite as smooth sounding. Verdict? Totally worth the money paid for them. Great utility mics, and they sound great on heavy guitars.

Sooo they're like the budget MD421's, which means they should be pretty good on toms? Then I'm in..

I will say the only completely negative thing about them is that there is significant handling noise. So as a handheld vocal mic, no frikkin way. Put in on a stand and you're fine. I don't mean that you NEED to use a shockmount or anything, as they're not that sensitive. Regular clips are fine. I have used them on snare to some degree of success, as they're good for picking up snare meat. But they pretty much need a companion bottom snare mic (a cheap SDC will do) to get top end out of it. Haven't actually tried them on toms yet, as my cheapo Shure PG56 mics perform far, far better than their price tag and model number suggest.

Back