Epi Valve Junior into 4x12?

post.aux.fader

Hey, I've got my eyes on one of them purty Valve Junior heads. The problem is, I only have a B-52 4x12 cabinet, and not a suitable 1x10 or 1x12 speaker cabinet. How would it sound if I ran it through the 4x12? Would there be enough power to be heard and/or get a decent tone? Granted, the speakers aren't that great in the thing, but it's all I have and I want that tuuuuube overdrive.

Thanks for your input.

as long as the ohm rating on the cab matches whats on the head, it should sound fine.

post.aux.fader said:
Hey, I've got my eyes on one of them purty Valve Junior heads. The problem is, I only have a B-52 4x12 cabinet, and not a suitable 1x10 or 1x12 speaker cabinet. How would it sound if I ran it through the 4x12? Would there be enough power to be heard and/or get a decent tone? Granted, the speakers aren't that great in the thing, but it's all I have and I want that tuuuuube overdrive.

Thanks for your input.

it is done and apparently people love the sound. i have the combo and may get the head to be able to do that (the combo has a 4 ohm output). maybe jonny c will pop in and offer his impressions of this. :)

I run it through a 4x12 all the time, in fact I prefer it. Sounds huge. There should never be an ohm mismatch problem, it has a 4, 8, and 16 ohm jacks on the back.

The combo can be modded with a new transformer to have selectable 4, 8, or 16 ohm output. For all I know, the stock tranny may have taps that are simply not connected......

But yeah the thing sounds great thru 12 inch speakers!

yep ..... I use mine for gigging semi-often and I have a close friend in Baton Rouge that uses his for gigging all the time so they'll definitely put out a lot of sound although you'll never mistake them for a big wattage amp.

I have never liked my V Jr. head running into a 4x12. I like it with a closed back 1x12 the best. To each his own!

Yep, sounded awesome through my Marshall 1960A, my Rocket 50-loaded 4x12, and my Sheffield 2x12. Should sound good through most anything. And HUGE.

Lt. Bob said:
yep ..... I use mine for gigging semi-often and I have a close friend in Baton Rouge that uses his for gigging all the time so they'll definitely put out a lot of sound although you'll never mistake them for a big wattage amp.

But is it quiet? :D

Just wanted to say Happy New Year to the Lt.

A good guy if ever there was one.

notCardio said:
But is it quiet? :D

Just wanted to say Happy New Year to the Lt.

A good guy if ever there was one.

It is quiet as far as hum goes, it isn't volume wise, still fairly loud.

damn, for $99 i think i might just pick up a Valve Junior to have around the studio as a 3rd amp. that thing is cheap! i'm sure you can squeeze some pretty good sounds out of it too.

when i get the 2x12 extension cab for my YCV80, i can probably plug the Epi into that.

but first i gotta sell the Firepod and get the new Firestudio...then some new monitors...crap!

zed32 said:
damn, for $99 i think i might just pick up a Valve Junior to have around the studio as a 3rd amp. that thing is cheap! i'm sure you can squeeze some pretty good sounds out of it too.

when i get the 2x12 extension cab for my YCV80, i can probably plug the Epi into that.

but first i gotta sell the Firepod and get the new Firestudio...then some new monitors...crap!
Dude ..... I've been almost evangelistic over the Valve Jr. Head since it came out. Ask cephus .... he loves his .... and everyone that I know of that's bought one also loves it, some more than others.
It's not a perfect amp but for $100 every recording guitarist should just buy one .... 5 watts of class A power is absolutely a very useful studio tool and if you play soft gigs .... it's useful live and if you mic your amp it's useful for even loud gigs.
Gotta be the best bang for the buck in guitar amps.

post.aux.fader said:

Thanks for your input.

HELL YES!

I borrowed a friend's Epi Valve Junior head and played a bunch of my Fenders and Gibbies through it and my Marshall 1960A cab, and it sounded great. I was very impressed. Pretty loud too for 5 watts. Perfect for recording. Didn't need any pedals or effects either to get a great tone.

I have a Hammond 125ESE transformer on the way, should be here in about a week..... I'm gonna change the tranny on mine, I'll make a clip and we'll hear if it makes it sound bigger!! :D

another +1 or whatever on the Valve Jr here. I love mine. I swapped out the Sovteks for some JJ's and man it's smooth now. happy happy joy joy.

looking forward to hooking it up to my 4x10 sometime when the wife and kid are out of the house. :D

cheers,
wade

Back