Epi Dot Studio upgraded

JCH

El Nacho
I have had this guitar for a while, but finally got around to winding a set of pickups for it. I thought the original black hardware would look shitty with the nickel pickup covers so I switched it all to chrome, and added a les paul style pickguard. I also polished the uglier than hell finish that comes on these to a nice sheen. It really made the grain of the wood stand out. I then leveled and dressed the frets, and installed a graflex nut to finish it off. I sure like this guitar much better than I did last week. 'should've done this a long time ago.

dot1.jpg

this is what it looked like before

guitar012.jpg

I've almost gotten one of those several times now, I like the way they play. But then I tell myself that the last thing I need is another cheap guitar (no offense), especially one that requires me to get another 335-type case. Just out of curiousity, if you didn't like the finish, the pickups or the hardware, why did you buy it in the first place?

I've almost gotten one of those several times now, I like the way they play. But then I tell myself that the last thing I need is another cheap guitar (no offense), especially one that requires me to get another 335-type case. Just out of curiousity, if you didn't like the finish, the pickups or the hardware, why did you buy it in the first place?

I wind custom pickups, and I needed a 335 style guitar for test, and demonstration purposes. I knew I could make the finish look better, and I already had the chrome hardware. the decision to change it out was easy. This is my fourth demo guitar. I also have a Epi studio Les Paul. a partscaster tele, and a MIM strat. They're all relatively inexpensive, but very playable. I leave my demo guitars a shops for days at a time so people can try my pickups. Their purpose is more utilitarian than it is aesthetic. I'll be rewiring it V/T-V/T soon.

OK, makes sense then. I keep almost buying one particular Epi Studio LP, too. I just like the way it feels. That's why I've got a bunch of cheap guitars instead of a few nice ones. I always end up liking the cheap ones more. :o

I always end up liking the cheap ones more. :o

^I'm the same way with women.

I love it when my cheap demo guitars get A/B'd with expensive custom shop guitars. Some people just will not believe that an inexpensive guitar can be made to play, and sound that nice. My Epi LP Studio is one of my favorites. I prefer my Gibson, but mostly because it's lighter. It's surprising what decent electronics can do for any cheap guitar.

Nice work on the Dot. I picked one up used--just because I didn't have anything in the semi-hollow category. The original owner had already upgrade the pups, and I added a pickguard (the bigger "jazz" style). And I like what you did w/the finish, I'd have done the same, but mine wasn't a wood grain model, but the glossy red (they called it tomato).

In any case, I've always thought that guitar played way above it's pay grade. I pick up more expensive semi hollow and hollow body guits all the time--but I've never bought another one. My Dot's good for me!

Back