Emu 1212/Need Help Please!

Protube2004

Just got the 1212 Emu Cards,sounds is great as expected BUT I am using Sonar 3.0 Studio Edition to record and it seems that I can only record wave from the 1/4 inch. inputs.I am TRYING to record from my S/PDIF.Whenever I select WDM drivers no digital input is found anywhere in Sonar,I TRY using ASIO drivers and I get NO drivers at all...I also have the MIA and I can tell you I NEVER had ANY problems.Of course I wanted the latest BUT this card IS NOT the easiest to use.Anyone using one of these ANY pointers would surely be welcomed.Thanx All

sorry - i dont know how to help you. but if the drivers dont show up in sonar ,and only wave shows up then sonar has shown the only available drivers it can use. i WILL tell you one thing its prolly not sonars fault.
the way the architecture of the pc is designed the software and soundcard are two seperate entities. in essence sonar can only display the drivers identified by windows. maybe there is something being missed. you might want to contact emu for resolution.
maybe there is a fix or driver update. have you checked if a driver update for the emu is available on emu's site ?
i came acroos this emu forum...
http://www.productionforums.com/emu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=390
my reading is that there are some settings perhaps that need to be enabled in the emu control panel ?

peace.

Thank You Very Much

Thanx for the link to that forum,however I have been in Hell ever since I brought this card home on Monday Night...So far,I've had to uninstall and re-install several times.No matter what I do all my effects are still greyed out(Not Usable)....So I've YET to hear them.I am synced properley from my V-Amp to my sound card because I DO have sound,just not showing any s/pdif drivers in Sonar Driver Input section,just Wave/L/R/Stereo...Ho Hum :confused:/This Sux.....Of course none of the problems I have are listed in that Forum(LOL My Luck) and for some odd reason I am unable to Post/Join...

tube. i would contact emu tech support.
the emu is very new, so i dont know much about it except the convertors people say are good. i'm a computer engineer , and for my own daw i tend to stay away from very new products because ive found from years of debugging big computers and networks that new technology can sometimes take a time to settle down. and ive found the same at the pc level
in my own pc's. my own pc daw runs perfect because i'm pretty strident about testing products out before i buy them.
in your case , it just might be a setting in the emu control panel.
have you been to the home emu site and checked for driver updates etc ?
i also found this...at emu.
it looks like they have had a number of updates to the patchmix software /drivers etc....heres link...note they also have a spdif
tester !!
http://www.emu.com/support/files/download.asp?centric=761
THIS IS THE PAGE YOU WANT !! just scroll down .
peace.

Last edited:
Thanx Again

Funny you link me to the Home Page,I was there the night I got this card,got all the latest drivers and what have you...I too have been doing this Far too long to go through this kind of B.S.Like I said in my previous post for all of my home stuff I have used The Mia since the day it came out and it's very easy to use and sounds great also.But I have to have whatever is new NOW and your right I'm paying for it now...I couldn't imagine just how many people have had nothing but problems with this New Line of EMU stuff until I read all the posts in the Forum from that link you first sent wow,Creative should be ashamed of themselves,it's not like they have been in the business for less than a year.It's more like they are in the business to cash in.I went for the card because of the *Protools Grade Converters like any other recording freak would have done.Check out my page if you'd like to hear my work,I wrote/recorded/performed all but the drums and Mixed/Mastered everything.I am a guitarist,it's ALL for the love of music,Thank You Once again for taking the time to try to help me out/Maybe you could link me up to some of your work/I'd love to hear it... :) http://songplanet.com/leadgtrplayr

None of your posts have mentioned patchmix.

If you want to use the Emu, you have to learn how to use Patchmix.

Part of this is that if you want to see ASIO channels in Sonar or any applications, what you do is you add ASIO host inserts into the physical channels represented by PatchMix.

If you're doing this properly, then you sould see them in your Sonar setup.

I use Sonar 3 and an E-mu 1820 and can verify that this combination works with no problem with ASIO drivers.

protube. i bet sklathill nailed it.
a lot of my friends complain this new soundcard tech is difficult to set up.
it seems they all have set up dialogs that one really has to take the time to
understand. this year i TOO am going thru a studio upgrade. for me...i'm looking closely at RME, because of their reputation for solid working and drivers for their sound solutions. but i have friends interested in the emu....
so tell me how you get on. ive tried playing other folks songs recently ,
but with my isp i keep on getting server errors. my isp is always very busy.
if you want to hear some of my own crazy stuff done over many years (if your own isp isnt busy like mine !) .....i have over 50 songs up at
soundclick.com/bmanning
some songs were done on crap gear, in small studios, on good gear in big studios, and when i could fit the time in between recording and helping lots of other people, and designing computer systems for big companies.
my attitude is to have fun rather than drive myself crazy with every minutae.
i like to write comical songs as well.and use different accents/voices.
try ..."limeyrap" (comical). "the siamese cat song"(a lot of people find the last line funny),"H LADY"(heavy guitar song done in a big studio, went number one in the rock section awhile back), "kind and gentle man"(a lovey dovey song),"old folks sleepin in the streets"(rock..my rant about the inequeties in society"....and many many others. had lots of plays.
i also make my own diy mic pre's that cost about 20 bucks to make.
and sound very good compared to more expensive stuff. if you ever want to learn diy, ask - and i'll post some links to help you. see if you can tell which songs were done with expensive, and which with my own mic pre's.
ive fooled many engineering friends of mine.
i do it for the fun of it. all the best and peace.

Awesome

I'm now on my way to actually being able to use my New Sound Card,I totally agree w/Sklat.I DO have to LEARN(keyword)how to use Patchmix DSP.I called EMU Tech. Support and they got me up and running today.For ANYONE having the same problems as I once was/They(EMU TECH.)had me reset my patchmix DSP and use The Product Default settings in 44/48 settings and whoa all of a sudden I had ASIO drivers showing up in Sonar for me to select whatever or wherever I was TRYIN to record from...I'm ALLSET Thank YOU once again Manning and Sklathill/BTW Sklathill I'd sure like to be able to ask you a few more questions as EMU Tech. support was VERY helpful but at the same time very breif w/me....YEAH,I'm SIKED and Manning this thing sounds just as good as EVERYONE says it does/KILLER!!!

glad you got it working protube. i'll tell some of my friends interested
in this new sound card. best wishes on your songs.
peace.
ps..a number of sonar users also use band in a box.
very usefull songwriting tool . try the demo at pgmusic.com some time.
also check out some of the tutorials that are free in the support section.

Back