Egg and chicken question

Steely Dan is the only band to have had success selling albums without ever touring. They have played live here and there but have never put on consistent touring.

If you, or the person your working with can really front a band, its much easier to pick up a bassist and drummer, maybe a keyboardist. If you have no stage personality, I think the most you can hope for is to be a songwriter for other performers, or use your music for movies TV, computer games etc.

Defibrillators = no money, no performances, no fans (except for my mum). We're onto CD number 9 with absolutely nothing to show for it. But we sure are enjoying ourselves.
This ^^^^^

HAHA! I know what you mean. Funny, this probably really belongs more in the other thread going on about "What's your motivation", but I'll put it here (Sorry Killthepixel). I'm on my 5th CD. Actually it's probably about my 10th, but I don't count the first 5 really. But anyway, for me it's just totally cool to play rock star in my own little fantasy world. Whenever I have from 12-16 tunes, I start designing CD covers, thinking about arranging the order of the tunes, thinking about taking pictures, getting ready to upload to CD BABY, etc.....All for the 23 (if I'm lucky) people that will actually ever hear any of it. At least I realize I'm living in a fantasy world, but it's really a beautiful world, because it's mine, all mine. :D

You should see my imaginary groupies. They're hot. :eek:

And this ^^^^^

I've got enough for Gregor the Terror #3 and I'm well into #4. I love it, even if I'm the only one that does!

Damn... RAMI's getting ahead of me... I have to get my 5th album underway immediately... :D

FWIW Pixy, I'm in a two piece band that doesn't even play any more and probably never will again. $50 gets you worldwide digital distribution via CD Baby, then you just need to get people to listen. Which is why I got 500 CDs replicated and stalked people at work to buy them. Some people have even listened to them. And I'm ahead on cost of manufacture by hundreds of dollars... which will get ploughed back into something or other. Haven't made my $50 back from CD Baby yet, but it's cute to see your stuff on iTunes and Amazon...

I would love to have more people listen to, buy and become fans... but like most other people here I'm realistic about how likely that will be. Ain't gonna happen. And that's ultimately not why I do it...

Good luck...

I don't care for fans, fame or fortune. I do what I do, when I do it, for myself. If someone else enjoys a bit of that, however brief, fine. My greatest fan, my mum, passed away at the start of the year, so I have an opening for that role. I've never released anything nor do I intend to. I don't think I have the kind of material I could assemble for an album as my songs aren't coherent at all. I just write songs and they're all different from one to the next. No style, genre or anything else that keeps them uniformed, apart from them coming from me.

It's good to have dreams though and I fully support those that do. Just don't get your hopes too high.

I don't care for fans, fame or fortune. I do what I do, when I do it, for myself. If someone else enjoys a bit of that, however brief, fine. My greatest fan, my mum, passed away at the start of the year, so I have an opening for that role. I've never released anything nor do I intend to. I don't think I have the kind of material I could assemble for an album as my songs aren't coherent at all. I just write songs and they're all different from one to the next. No style, genre or anything else that keeps them uniformed, apart from them coming from me.

It's good to have dreams though and I fully support those that do. Just don't get your hopes too high.

Damn, sorry about your mom. That sucks. :(

Even if you are just two guys, you can perform cut-down versions of some of your songs. As others have already said, playing songs live is the only way these days to get more people to hear your songs and possibly buy your CDs/downloads.
CDBaby/Tunecore, even bandcamp gives people places to buy your stuff, but you still have to market it yourself.

Now I face another problem. I'm living abroad so there's no chance the band will perform on a couple of years... Anyway, I'm being realistic so I will release the album , move it on press and magazines and then see if a small distributor is interested in selling the physical copies (if I decide to do that, of course).

Absolutely, if your stuff is where you want it, shove it out to distribution. Hit CDBaby and release away.
If you have a fan base on MySpace or Facebook or Twitter or whatever, promote your new release and then go back a couple days later and re-promote. My junk recordings (loose mixes) got over 100 plays on my MySpace in a few weeks just by telling people where to hear them (and they were seriously crap). Working on better versions now and possible colab for the stuff I'm weak at. But if I was seriously trying to get people to listen to my stuff (slamming the promo, baby) I could probably get 1000 hits per song in a month. It's good music.
So, if your music is good stuff: Put links in your signatures: Join songwriters orgs and promote them there: Send out group e-mails: TAKE copies to your local radio stations: Release through CDBaby to iTunes and Amazon, whatever you can think of. You may get enough feedback and listen to seriously think about hiring musicians to tour with. :D I know a really good keyboardist/bassist :D

I think the most you can hope for is to be a songwriter for other performers, or use your music for movies TV, computer games etc.
Even if you are just two guys, you can perform cut-down versions of some of your songs.

I think you guys missed this:
Since we play death metal, ...

Playing a cut down, possibly acoustic version of death metal doesn't really work. Not many active death metal bands are looking to other people to write songs for them...

Go ahead and try to get it out there yourself. A label really won't do anything for you except take what little money you do generate. If you think about it, if you take out the middle man, you really don't have to sell much at all in order to fund your next effort. With a label, you may sell more (or not) but the label will make most of that money and you will have to be out of pocket for the next release.

Bands that you've heard of on labels like Century Media, Metal Blade, etc... are only getting a budget of around $3-5000 to record, mix, master and do the artwork for an album. For that the label wants to recoup from sales AND live shows AND merch. Even once they recoup, the best you can hope for is a 50/50 split, even though they won't give you tour support or even cover the setup charges for the merch.

I agree with most of what has been in response to the original post. I founded a band in Chicago back in 2000, in which I sang lead; played rhythm guitar; wrote/co-wrote all the tunes; was responsible for most of the promotion; produced the recordings; etc., and while we never signed to a label, we did have some decent distribution, but the companies we worked with have all gone under since the massive increase in online sales/distribution/marketing/promotion/etc.

After that group disbanded, I immediately helped start another band with a few guys who had been in very well-known Chicago band that signed to Elektra (or Epic, I can't remember which) in the late 90's, so the new band took off quickly: we sold out our first 12 shows, and because of that along with a good amount of plays on MySpace & Facebook & ReverbNation as well as our super-dynamic live shows, we signed to Virgin Records about 20 months after our first show. While it was a great learning experience, I wouldn't sign with another major label again unless the contract & terms were EXACTLY what I wanted. In all blunt honesty, most labels these days are nothing more than banks who force you to borrow & spend more money than you wanted, and they even go so far as to tell you exactly how to spend it. You'd have better luck taking out a business loan on your own; the only major difference is the label can't come after you personally if you don't recoup (AKA pay back) the money they spent on you. A bank will own you until you pay them back in full.

A few people here have said that no label will be interested in your project unless you already have some sort of fanbase, and this is pretty much true. 99% of the time. There *might* be a few small boutique labels that will give you the distribution you're looking for, but they won't give you much else: no money for recording or promotion; very little support (if any) for touring; and you will make far less money selling your materials through them than you would if you just managed it all yourself. I've seen a few people recommend using CDBaby, and I couldn't agree more, especially now that they've launched their online advertising program, which is SICK. So seriously: go check out CDBaby. Their services are worth every penny.

Last thing: I can't think of a single label (major, boutique, or otherwise) that will accept unsolicited submissions, which is exactly what you're talking about doing. If you send a package to a label, they will most likely just throw it away without even opening it, mainly to avoid any legal issues. For example, if you send a label a package, and then six months later they release a song via one of their bands that sounds a lot like one you sent them, they can say that they never open unsolicited materials and therefore could not have possibly ripped off your song. So the only way to submit material to a label is by ensuring it was solicited, meaning that you have someone (a lawyer, a manager, etc.) working for you that has a relationship with the label; then they can say to the label, "Hey check out this band I'm working with," and because the label knows your lawyer or manager, the label considers this solicited material (as opposed to unsolicited). Another way to accomplish this is by building a solid fanbase, either through live shows or online promotion/marketing, such that it attracts the attention of a label and they request materials from you. Otherwise, it's a waste of your time, materials, and postage.

In all honesty, if all you want is distribution and never intend to play live, I *highly* recommend you do it all yourself. Look into starting your own label and use CDBaby for distribution and whatnot. You'll have more control and you'll make more money per disc or download sold, and ultimately be much happier with your situation.

I don't see the advantages of getting signed anymore, get it on CD baby instead and promote the hell out of it, do some gigs as well but with a CD to promote, there's also nothing wrong with making money.

Back