Effects

mcmac74

Hi
Can anyone recommend an effect within the JS/ Cockos suite that would be useful for making a vocal sound like it's coming out of a cheap two way radio,? I've tried a distortion but didn't sound quite right.

Thanks
Mark

Start with eq. Apply a high pass filter at about 600 Hz and a low pass filter at about 6 kHz. You might boost it at 1 kHz. Then add a little distortion, then add another low pass filter at 6 kHz. Try adjusting the filter frequencies until you get the effect you want.

I'm assuming you're using ReaEQ. There's a drop down menu for each filter band. Set filter 1 to high pass and filter 5 to low pass. You might need to run the low pass down to 3 kHz rather than 6 kHz.

I did an EQ from 300-3000Hz to simulate a telephone sound. It sounded like the start of ELO's Telephone Line. A two way radio would have a similar response. Adding the distortion might add some realism.

With ReaEq it may be worth reducing the bandwidth setting on the low pass filter. This will give you a bit of a hump in the response just below the turnover frequency which makes things sound harsher and helps simulate a cheap speaker.

Start with eq. Apply a high pass filter at about 600 Hz and a low pass filter at about 6 kHz. You might boost it at 1 kHz. Then add a little distortion, then add another low pass filter at 6 kHz. Try adjusting the filter frequencies until you get the effect you want.
You know what, that was just what I wanted. Wish I knew my way around EQ like that! Thanks

Back