editing with headphones

steffa

Hi everyone

I would like to ask, is there any universally acknowledged model of headphones that can be used as a monitor to obtain an editing that sounds good on all audio systems?

Thank you so much
best !
Stef

I wouldn't think so.

When you're editing in headphones, the priorities would probably be (in descending order)
Headphones you are intimately familiar with
That won't fatigue your ears
That have a flat frequency response across the entire audible range
That block out any background noise, etc that might interfere.

The direct answer is, there is not a universally acknowledged model of headphone to use as a monitor for mixing that sounds good on all audio systems. However, many people, including myself, use good headphones for much of the mixing process. I have Beyerdynamic 990 pros and Sonarworks correction. I still prefer to mix on my nearfields for the final decisions.

If there were, everyone would have them and no one would use properly treated spaces and freakishly accurate and consistent monitoring chains. If I could spend $2500 on a set of cans instead of $25,000 on speakers and treatment, I'd do it in a heartbeat (face it - everyone would).

That said - I've tried some truly amazing headphones. THAT said, I'd never actually trust working on them (except for things where the additional isolation actually helps - Editing, restorative work, zeroing in on anomalies, rough leveling, etc.).

*THAT* said -- Grado Prestige (whatever the current 200 series are - Probably 225's). But trash the L-type cushions and go to the G-style cushion. You'll have comfort, amazing and "realistic" sound (still wouldn't trust it with critical adjustments) that's pleasant to listen to and won't turn your ears to jello like 7506's or something along those lines. Don't discount those G cushions - The L cushions are great, but they're great for 10 minutes at a time. If you're working for 15 hours stints, those G's are going to save your life. But they set the drivers about a mm or 2 farther from the ear - so you need to account for that when listening (one of about a billion reasons that headphones suck for critical work in the first place - An extra glass of water in the morning can make a 4dB difference in the low end).

IMO/E, YMMV, etc., etc., yada, yada. But for the $$$, I don't think they can be beat.

Last edited:
No matter what headphones I use my mix never sounds quite right when I listen back on speakers. I can get close with tone and separation but stereo imaging is always a fail for me. Effects always need adjustment as well.

Editing? As in cutting up and copying and pasting, adding bits, removing bits - this is editing and you can edit on anything, but preferably things that don't let the room in so you can really hear what it is you are editing. Mixing and mastering are quality processes, so the needs are different. Did you mean editing? if you did, I like Beyer DT100.

I did all my editing with AKGs for years. When I was at Berklee that's what was in all the labs, so when it came time to buy headphones, that's what I bought.

Last year I was fortunate to receive a set of Neumann headphones as a gift and I love them. They're expensive, though.

No matter what headphones I use my mix never sounds quite right when I listen back on speakers. I can get close with tone and separation but stereo imaging is always a fail for me. Effects always need adjustment as well.

Your center image can be off because when you mix on speakers you don't have them strapped to your head. It makes sense when you think of it. Headphones have a tendency to make panning more dramatic.

No matter what headphones I use my mix never sounds quite right when I listen back on speakers. I can get close with tone and separation but stereo imaging is always a fail for me
It's funny, I find the opposite. I listen to virtually all my music for pleasure on headphones/earbuds and so I've become, over the last 40+ years rather sensitive to stereo placement on songs in pretty much every genre.
Headphones have a tendency to make panning more dramatic.
That's precisely why I like them.
I mix with both monitors and headphones. I wouldn't mix without either. They are both crucial to the way I mix.
The dramaticness {is there even such a word ?} of placement in the stereo field that comes with listening through headphones has very rarely affected what I'm hearing in the speakers. Actually, I find that it makes what I'm hearing sound better. The obvious question might be "Why don't you mix in just headphones then ?" The answer to me is simple. I need to hear on speakers what my modifications in headphones have done, how they've affected the overall sound. And vice versa. I listen to most of my music as I'm cycling or travelling around, but sometimes I want to hear things on the stereo at home or in the car. To me, it's stupid to have something that only sounds good on one medium.
I disagree with those that say you can't mix on headphones alone, but.....{and it's a big but 1697572388683.png} for me, it makes abundant sense to mix with both, bouncing between the two to see how things sound from different perspectives.

Back