drum mics

kingofallkings

hi guys, i've recently bought a roland vs2480 and i'm looking to buy some drum mics to record my band. we play really heavy rock music. i'm pretty sure i'm goin for an sm57 on the snare and a d112 on the kick ( i've heard it gives a really clicky sound) but i'm not really sure what to use for the toms and overheads. my budget is about £1000, but this could be stretched ( but i was looking to buy a vocal mic as well) does anyone have any suggestions.

also if anyone could tell me about what sort of preamp i should use and give me a rough price of a decent quality one. i don't know very much so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx

Andy

I suggest you start with four mics on the drums... one snare mic, one kick mic, and two matched overhead mics... you can always add hat and tom mics if you need them... but I suggest starting with no more than 4 mics.

Would you like me to list some popular budget mic recommendations for you?

You could probably do a lot worse than the Red5 Audio mics, seeing as how you're up there in Scotland.

You can have a look at their catalogue by clicking here.

A pair of RV10 LDCs for overheads and an RVD1 kick drum mic would cost about £360 plus postage. For snare I'd get the Beyerdynamic M201 from Thomann's in Germany for £108 (+ P&P), or £140 from any British store (+ P&P), rather than the usual suspect.

That's about £468 - 500 (+ P&P) altogether.

The guy who's championing these mics, Dot, reckons the weak link in the set is the overheads. If you're not after tom mics then I wouldn't get that particular set.

For overheads I would look closely at the Oktava MK012s and the Studio Projects C4s, ignore anyone who says Marshall MXL603 because they can't be had for a sensible price in the UK. Do NOT get AKG C1000Ss for overheads. Although they are quite good on snare ... but only quite.

For kick, I really want to try the Audio Technica ATM25 and I think they have a good price at www.gak.co.uk.

Is this the same Dot who recommended the RV8s as overheads, Nicholas?

Note, I didn't mention any of the Red5 drum miking sets (which include the RV4: Which is the one I think you're talking about). :p

Other than that, the ATM25 is a very nice mic (better than the D112, even).

I would recommend the ATM25 on kick, the ATM23HE on snare. You can get both on ebay quite cheaply, they're built like tanks with integral stand mounts. You don't need to mic all the drums individually, check out a pair of MK012s for overheads. If you're just starting out you should consider putting some of that £1000 towards some form of room treatment.

Mark7 said:
Is this the same Dot who recommended the RV8s as overheads, Nicholas?

Note, I didn't mention any of the Red5 drum miking sets (which include the RV4: Which is the one I think you're talking about). :p

Other than that, the ATM25 is a very nice mic (better than the D112, even).
Ah, craperoo. I should've read your post more carefully. I think you're right - the ones he didn't like are the little battery-powered SDCs. The RV8's an LDC, right?

That'll learn me :(

Yep, that's the one. A Cardioid LDC. Unfortunately it appears to have been discontinued, which is why I mentioned the multi-pattern RV10 instead. There's also the £45 RV6 (another cardioid LDC) from the same people, but I tend to be suspicious of anything that cheap that isn't a dynamic.

Back