Drum Mics help?

If I could afford a 414, I'd get one. Then again, if I had that much money to splurgeth on a mic, I'd probably break the bank a little more with a U87 for vox and be done with it. haha!

A C214 puts me about $13 over budget. (I've stopped counting shipping from Amazon, by the way.) That's not to bad, but I may just end up getting an AT2020 and Heil PR20 in it's place. The SM7 works well enough with my vocals anyway.

I'll probably change my mind a thousand more time. That is to be expected when shopping, though, right? Lol.

I'd love a U87 myself but the best I could do for now is a TLM107, which I think is incredible. But I was just responding to your question about the C214

Wouldn't the e604 be a little small to try to capture a floor tom?
No. The diaphragm is about the same size as a 421, which is a classic standard tom mic. Just because the case is small, doesn't mean the internals are any smaller.

Floor toms tend to sound different enough without having to resort to putting kick mics or anything silly like that on it.

No. The diaphragm is about the same size as a 421, which is a classic standard tom mic. Just because the case is small, doesn't mean the internals are any smaller.

Floor toms tend to sound different enough without having to resort to putting kick mics or anything silly like that on it.

The highlighted text sparks my interest.

Off the tom topic, has anyone tried the new EV RE320? I don't know if it has the same proximity effect-less feature of the RE20, but it does have a "Dual Personality" switch for Kick and Vocals. Besides the aforementioned and the price, I don't know what else is different from the RE20.

Here is a picture of a 421 capsule. 282950d1332361739-md421-membrane-distorting-img169.jpg

If you imagine that sitting in a 421 body, you can see that it isn't that big. If you take apart a 604, the diaphragm is the size of the inside of the case. They may not be the exact same size (I can't find a measurement on line), but they are pretty close.

Here is a picture of a 421 capsule. View attachment 92956

If you imagine that sitting in a 421 body, you can see that it isn't that big. If you take apart a 604, the diaphragm is the size of the inside of the case. They may not be the exact same size (I can't find a measurement on line), but they are pretty close.

Wow. No wonder the 421 can take a beating. Lol. I'd be wary of the e604 being able to take a hit being that it's not as protected as the 421, but I'm sure you wouldn't have recommended it if it wasn't durable. I think someone said it could be used live, so it must be able to be beat on a t least a little.

This question is kinda off topic, but it relates so I'm gonna ask.

Should I build my computer or buy my mics first?

My laptop I've used for recording for years now can't handle small buffer sizes well, so I've decided to build a computer.

I'm thinking get mics first and save up for the computer parts, maybe get it done in December.

Wow. No wonder the 421 can take a beating. Lol. I'd be wary of the e604 being able to take a hit being that it's not as protected as the 421, but I'm sure you wouldn't have recommended it if it wasn't durable. I think someone said it could be used live, so it must be able to be beat on a t least a little.

I used the 504's for 20 years in my commercial studio every time a drum kit came in. They all survived every stick hit.

The shell is very hard and the shape of the mic deflects the stick. Short of running it over with a truck, you aren't going to break the mic.

This question is kinda off topic, but it relates so I'm gonna ask.

Should I build my computer or buy my mics first?

My laptop I've used for recording for years now can't handle small buffer sizes well, so I've decided to build a computer.

I'm thinking get mics first and save up for the computer parts, maybe get it done in December.

Get the mics first and learn their characteristics. You should still be able to record on the lappy you have been using. By then you will know more about the computer you want. Just remember lots of RAM, like 16GB at least

Get the mics first and learn their characteristics. You should still be able to record on the lappy you have been using. By then you will know more about the computer you want. Just remember lots of RAM, like 16GB at least

Yeah, I'm pushing for 16 GB. I'm really going to save up for this. Computer is gonna cost about $500-600. Already pinned down a monitor.

I can record on the laptop no problem, but it gets hot when pushing the buffer. We jammed on it Monday, but I may have already said that. Lol.

Should I get the overheads or kick mic next?

Yeah, I'm pushing for 16 GB. I'm really going to save up for this. Computer is gonna cost about $500-600. Already pinned down a monitor.

I can record on the laptop no problem, but it gets hot when pushing the buffer. We jammed on it Monday, but I may have already said that. Lol.

Should I get the overheads or kick mic next?

While the overheads can pick up the kick drum, you can get an AKG D112, pretty much one of the studio standards for kick mics, for a reasonable price. I don't know what your choice is for overheads but AKG P170s don't do bad job although you would get as many suggestions here as there are people reading the thread. Listen to everyone, make a choice.

I'm going with Rode M5s for overheads. They're priced better than Perception 170s and not too high that they kill any chance of extras in the budget.

I would suggest oktava MK012 for overheads. Your setup looks very similar to mine. SM57 on snare drum D112 for bassdrum and e604 on toms. What you mentioned you got and I do not have is the SM7b. I am really interested in getting one. I have an sE R1 that most people suggested that I should get as I do not have a lot of experience with LDC mics. It sounds great with guitars I pan it the other side to the SM57.

The oktava mics are really nice and they are not to bright (harsh).

As for bass guitar, I would recommend using a DI and VST plugins, or a BDDI (something similar) unless you have a really nice bass amp.

I would suggest oktava MK012 for overheads. Your setup looks very similar to mine. SM57 on snare drum D112 for bassdrum and e604 on toms. What you mentioned you got and I do not have is the SM7b. I am really interested in getting one. I have an sE R1 that most people suggested that I should get as I do not have a lot of experience with LDC mics. It sounds great with guitars I pan it the other side to the SM57.

The oktava mics are really nice and they are not to bright (harsh).

As for bass guitar, I would recommend using a DI and VST plugins, or a BDDI (something similar) unless you have a really nice bass amp.

I'll probably end up getting a pair of Oktavas in the future, be they MK012 or MC012. What's the difference between the two?

I've come across MXL 603s. Anyone have any experience with them?

Check out the Mojave Audio MA-201fet (LDC -) and MA-101fet (SDC). Really good fet mics capture so much more of the transients you want, especially for metal, and big Jensen transformers capture more of the low end.
You can also use the MA-201fets for vocals - the metal guys love them! By far the best value for the money. There's no substitute for quality components!

The difference between the MC and the MK mics is when they were made. MC stands for Microphone Condenser, MK stands for the Russian equivalent. Before the early 2000's, they were labeled MK. At the request of the UK distributor, it was changed to MC to reflect the English spelling. When that distributor stopped being used, the name was changed back to MK-012.

You can tell the 'fake' ones because they don't come with a 10db pad and have plastic mic clips. However, these mics were made from the original specs. The Chinese company that made them was originally contracted to manufacture them, but at some point the licence was pulled. So, they are only fake because they are unlicensed versions.

I would recommend not to cheap out on overheads as they will pickup a lot of detail from any instrument they are used on. you could record without spot mics on toms but you would still use overheads. Oktava are really nice ones. When shopping for condensors do not go for extremly bright ones at first as it is hard to mix multiple tracks that have a high end bump.

I would recommend not to cheap out on overheads as they will pickup a lot of detail from any instrument they are used on. you could record without spot mics on toms but you would still use overheads. Oktava are really nice ones. When shopping for condensors do not go for extremly bright ones at first as it is hard to mix multiple tracks that have a high end bump.

The idea behind getting the M5/603s (the latter of which I'm now leaning towards) is having Michael Joly mod them later on. They're way better than what I have and fit in my budget well, leaving room in the budget for more stuff. I'm not knocking the Oktavas as I'm sure they're wonderful, as they're recommended all over the place.

On another note, purely out of curiosity, has anyone used MXL v67s or MXL 2003A on floor toms or anything other than vocals? I'm def fitting an MXL LDC into the budget, either v67G or 2003a.

Last edited:
Not trying to see you the oktavas, but they can get joly modded too. And they have a modular design, thus, you can substitute capsules such that the mice becomes omni directional, figure of 8 or even LDC.

Back