Drum Mics help?

The e604's are really good Tom mics. You will not have to upgrade in the future, ever.

I got the 504's (the predecessor) in the mid 90's and used them on everything up until I stopped recording last year.

Besides the built in mount, their size makes them easier to place than some mics. I made myself some mic cables with right angle plugs to keep the profile even lower.

The mounts are removable, aren't they? Have you tried them on anything other than toms or snare?

---------- Update ----------

The e604's are really good Tom mics. You will not have to upgrade in the future, ever.

I got the 504's (the predecessor) in the mid 90's and used them on everything up until I stopped recording last year.

Besides the built in mount, their size makes them easier to place than some mics. I made myself some mic cables with right angle plugs to keep the profile even lower.

Also, have you used them live? Do they seem sturdy enough for live use?

The mounts are removable, aren't they? Have you tried them on anything other than toms or snare?

---------- Update ----------

Also, have you used them live? Do they seem sturdy enough for live use?
Yes, the mounts are removable. They can be attached to a normal mic stand.

I really don't like them on snare, a 57 is a better choice in my opinion. I've tried them on electric guitar, but it seemed a little thin for my taste. (my normal thing is a 57 and a 421 on a cabinet, so anything by itself would sound a little thin) I guess it depends on the sound you are going for. I have used them on horns to good effect.

Just about anything you would use a 421 on, the 604's will work. They don't sound exactly like a 421, but can be used in the same circumstances. I normally just used them for toms. I had enough other mics that I never felt the need to use the 604's for much else other than toms.

The mics are very solid, they are used live all the time. They take a stick hit without a problem and are very easy to place. If you are using them on random kits that people bring in, do yourself a favor and get some XLR with right angle plugs. It will help make it easier to place the mics on kits where the drummer has the cymbals an inch off the top of the toms.

Yes, the mounts are removable. They can be attached to a normal mic stand.

I really don't like them on snare, a 57 is a better choice in my opinion. I've tried them on electric guitar, but it seemed a little thin for my taste. (my normal thing is a 57 and a 421 on a cabinet, so anything by itself would sound a little thin) I guess it depends on the sound you are going for. I have used them on horns to good effect.

Just about anything you would use a 421 on, the 604's will work. They don't sound exactly like a 421, but can be used in the same circumstances. I normally just used them for toms. I had enough other mics that I never felt the need to use the 604's for much else other than toms.

The mics are very solid, they are used live all the time. They take a stick hit without a problem and are very easy to place. If you are using them on random kits that people bring in, do yourself a favor and get some XLR with right angle plugs. It will help make it easier to place the mics on kits where the drummer has the cymbals an inch off the top of the toms.

This is awesome. I'm gonna have to take the Heil off the budget to get em, but oh well.

Maybe I'll buy one with my own money instead of getting them on the band budget. It's mostly all my money anyway. Lol.

Warning: Thread jack...

Ok, you have convinced me. I ordered 3pack of 604's. :)

LOL, I have been thinking of getting some myself (after recommending them) I have used them live on some house systems and I love the way they fit easy on the kit and sound really good as well. In the studio I have used condensers (LDC's) for a while now, I also like 421's a lot but they are often hard to position due to the weird way some drummers set up the kit (steep angled toms, low cymbals, etc) the e604's would suit very nicely, by the way for a few dollars more there is the e904 which on paper should sound even better? Anyone tried these?

I agree that I still would use a sm57 on snare before the e604's.

Alan.

LOL, I have been thinking of getting some myself (after recommending them) I have used them live on some house systems and I love the way they fit easy on the kit and sound really good as well. In the studio I have used condensers (LDC's) for a while now, I also like 421's a lot but they are often hard to position due to the weird way some drummers set up the kit (steep angled toms, low cymbals, etc) the e604's would suit very nicely, by the way for a few dollars more there is the e904 which on paper should sound even better? Anyone tried these?

I agree that I still would use a sm57 on snare before the e604's.

Alan.

Just to clarify, my mic of choice for snare at the moment is the SM57. I've got another mic I'm gonna try on it as well, but it's just a cheapo 57 knockoff. Sounds pretty good on guitars though.

An e604 is about $125. An e904 is $199. That's a few dollars? Lol. Not trying to be nitpicky. I'm curious as to how it sounds as well.

An e604 is about $125. An e904 is $199. That's a few dollars? Lol. Not trying to be nitpicky. I'm curious as to how it sounds as well.

Sorry, LOL, I know, it's always "just a few dollars more". I think you will find that the e604's will be fine.

Alan

Hey, folks. Just wanted to update everyone.

My dad helped me move all the furniture out of our rehearsal space, and I "renovated" it to make it more of a studio space. I pulled up the carpet and soon, I'm going to put up some blankets to treat the acoustics. My drummer wants to put up posters. I'd have them in frames. Do you guys think the glass would do something funky to the sound? I'm thinking the frames would help diffuse the sound. Also, some sweet Metallica, Slayer, or The Walking Dead posters might help our vibe in the space.

Anyway, here is The War Room 2.0!

Attachments

• WarRoom2_1.jpg
    WarRoom2_1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
I think you should mic your room and then start taming the bad areas. You will need to determine how "live" you want it. Best bet is to mic it up, hit record and listen. No EQ, just mix and listen. Adjust room treatment to desired taste.

I think you should mic your room and then start taming the bad areas. You will need to determine how "live" you want it. Best bet is to mic it up, hit record and listen. No EQ, just mix and listen. Adjust room treatment to desired taste.

That seems to be the way to go. It's been suggested. Maybe I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be. Lol.

They get good reviews at that price point. If you compare them to the 604's, 421's, etc... there is no contest. But you can get 3 CAD's for 1 604...

Bottom line is, you will eventually want to replace the CAD's, but you will not necessarily outgrow the e604's.

They get good reviews at that price point. If you compare them to the 604's, 421's, etc... there is no contest. But you can get 3 CAD's for 1 604...

Bottom line is, you will eventually want to replace the CAD's, but you will not necessarily outgrow the e604's.

At the end of the day it is not really about the mics...they're just tools. It ultimately comes down to knowing what to do with the tools which is the differentiator. Case in point, another song recorded using only 2 SM57s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkh3LYlwaFo sounds pretty good to me.

These tom mics seem like they should be the last thing I decide on. Somehow, they're giving the most trouble. Lol.

I've decided to go with SDCs for overheads. I've got Rode M5s in the budget, which I increased to $2,000 so I can fit monitors in. I completely forgot about monitors. I picked JBL LSR305s.

You guys think I should get the kick mic next so we can work on placement? We jam with the same interface we're gonna use to record, so we can probably get a decent idea of which mic (SM7 vs D6) we want to use and what placement. We put the SM7 on the kick Monday night and I digged the sound, with a little EQ.

Speaking of the SM7, how do you think it'll work on a floor tom?

The sm7 will be fine on flora tom, assuming you want the floor Tom to have different tonality than the rack toms.

I don't like that personally, but some people do.

The sm7 will be fine on flora tom, assuming you want the floor Tom to have different tonality than the rack toms.

I don't like that personally, but some people do.

We've always gone for a floor tom that stands out, for lack of a better phrase. As long it has the same tension and is tuned well, as the other toms, we should do fine.

Maybe I could ditch the CAD and shoot for an AKG C214. I love the crisp sound of that mic. Then I'd have two mics that would be spectacular to choose from come vocal time. Anyone tried a 214 on anything?

By the way, I'd just like to say thank you to everyone! You guys are awesome!

EDIT: Wouldn't the floor tom sound different than the other toms with a CAD on it as well?

Last edited:
I tend to use the same mics on the floor that I do on the rack toms. That way the only difference in sound is the difference in the drum.

I come from a metal background and came up in the 80's, where kits had 6-8 toms. If two of them sound completely different than the other 6... That mentality carried over into smaller kits for me.

Another thing, unless you choose a completely inappropriate mic, you should be able to get a good drum sound with some eq and compression. The differences in microphones simply push you towards a certain sound. Many great albums we're done with nothing but 57's on the drums.

I tend to use the same mics on the floor that I do on the rack toms. That way the only difference in sound is the difference in the drum.

I come from a metal background and came up in the 80's, where kits had 6-8 toms. If two of them sound completely different than the other 6... That mentality carried over into smaller kits for me.

Another thing, unless you choose a completely inappropriate mic, you should be able to get a good drum sound with some eq and compression. The differences in microphones simply push you towards a certain sound. Many great albums we're done with nothing but 57's on the drums.

Wouldn't the e604 be a little small to try to capture a floor tom?

Might make sense to go with 57s on the racks and SM7 on the floor, may bring the sounds closer together. How's that sound?

EDIT: Know what would definitely help this decision? Taking the 57 I have on my guitar cab and micing up a tom with it. Then micing up the floor tom with the SM7. That'd for sure give me an idea of what to do. (Sometimes I forget that I actually have an SM57 lol It's been sitting in front of my Marshall for so long.)

Last edited:
Maybe I could ditch the CAD and shoot for an AKG C214. I love the crisp sound of that mic. Then I'd have two mics that would be spectacular to choose from come vocal time. Anyone tried a 214 on anything?

I have a matched pair of C414 xls that work beautifully on everything. I believe the C214 is excellent as well

My main drum mics are Audix DP7, a 7-piece kit of quality mics that I am very happy with. However, if I want to record using Glyn Johns placement, I use the C414s plus the Audix D6 for the kick and the Audix i5 for the snare

I have a matched pair of C414 xls that work beautifully on everything. I believe the C214 is excellent as well

My main drum mics are Audix DP7, a 7-piece kit of quality mics that I am very happy with. However, if I want to record using Glyn Johns placement, I use the C414s plus the Audix D6 for the kick and the Audix i5 for the snare

If I could afford a 414, I'd get one. Then again, if I had that much money to splurgeth on a mic, I'd probably break the bank a little more with a U87 for vox and be done with it. haha!

A C214 puts me about $13 over budget. (I've stopped counting shipping from Amazon, by the way.) That's not to bad, but I may just end up getting an AT2020 and Heil PR20 in it's place. The SM7 works well enough with my vocals anyway.

I'll probably change my mind a thousand more time. That is to be expected when shopping, though, right? Lol.

Back