drum mic setup

Why would you do that? Just hook the mics straight into the 1800. It's got what, 8 inputs? There's 8 drum tracks for ya. You don't need the mixer.

just cos it would be cool if I could and just so I know I've got the option to add an extra two mics if I want to

just cos it would be cool if I could and just so I know I've got the option to add an extra two mics if I want to
Not a good reason, Ollie. You want the best recording possible? The less in your signal path the better. I know how badly you want to use it since.....it's there. We've all been through that. I used to have a board that I just had to talk myself into using since....it was there....but it's really not going to help you and will probably hurt your sound. Fight the temptation of NEEDING to use it just because you have it and you'll get better recordings.

Yeah with the US-1800 you don't need the mixer. I wish I had one.

Use two of the mics in stereo and assuming the room has some treatment, that alone will get you close. Mic the kick and the snare in mono and that's probably all you really need.

You would use the RCA outputs however I do not know if it would be line level. For me I need to connect a mic pre as I record a full band live and I like lots of drum mics. The sound quality will definitely be less good though. If you need the tracks though do what you gotta do!

Oi mate. Just FYI, the capules on an SM57 and an SM58 are nearly identical; there is a slight different in the very low-end response (SM57 goes down to 40Hz, whereas a 58 only goes down to 50Hz) and also a slight difference around the 1.5K range but it's so small as to be negligible.

The drummer in one of my bands here in Chicago is an electrical engineer for Shure, so I know what I'm about to say is extremely accurate: the main difference between the two mics is the ball screen on the 58. Shure coats it with a special coating that changes the way the source sound reaches the capsule; the source sound bouncing around inside the ball screen is what makes the biggest difference in preceived sound between the 57 & 58. So, if you just unscrew the ball screen from the 58, then BAM! you basically have a 57, with only the differences I mentioned above, which for snare mic'ing, are entirely negligible. But I'd recommend using the uncovered 58 on the underside of the snare, as the capsule will be exposed and will not take kindly to being whacked with a drum stick. ;)

Hope that helps.

Again, the Tascam US 1800 can record 10 mic inputs. Input channels 9/10 have preamps capable of running dynamic mics. Just need a XLR to 1/4" adapter or cable.

My advice;

Forget about using the external mixer, unless you need more than 10 inputs. If you do, just pan the main outs/channels, and connect the output of the mixer to 'Line' inputs on the 1800.

Don't even bother with a room mic unless your room is large and treated. Mine is 35X13' and ceiling filled with rockwool. The only time I use the room mic (because I have the channels and mics to do so) is when looking for a ambient tone for acoustic style recordings.

Do not bother with a bottom snare mic unless you have time to waste. I have the time, mics, and inputs, but have used a bottom snare mic maybe once. Not even sure it made it through to final mix. Top miking is the best for snare. Just place a 58 (with ball off) in a spot where it is unlikely to get hit. There is always the chance of that, and I'm not sure the plastic guard on the 57 is any stronger than the 58 with the ball off. Not to a well determined snare hit....

If you're hitting a mic that's about 10" away from the centre of your drum, sell your mixer and buy some glasses. :D

Again, the Tascam US 1800 can record 10 mic inputs. Input channels 9/10 have preamps capable of running dynamic mics. Just need a XLR to 1/4" adapter or cable.

My advice;

Forget about using the external mixer, unless you need more than 10 inputs. If you do, just pan the main outs/channels, and connect the output of the mixer to 'Line' inputs on the 1800.

Don't even bother with a room mic unless your room is large and treated. Mine is 35X13' and ceiling filled with rockwool. The only time I use the room mic (because I have the channels and mics to do so) is when looking for a ambient tone for acoustic style recordings.

Do not bother with a bottom snare mic unless you have time to waste. I have the time, mics, and inputs, but have used a bottom snare mic maybe once. Not even sure it made it through to final mix. Top miking is the best for snare. Just place a 58 (with ball off) in a spot where it is unlikely to get hit. There is always the chance of that, and I'm not sure the plastic guard on the 57 is any stronger than the 58 with the ball off. Not to a well determined snare hit....

ahhhh that's useful actually thanks :)

Oi mate. Just FYI, the capules on an SM57 and an SM58 are nearly identical; there is a slight different in the very low-end response (SM57 goes down to 40Hz, whereas a 58 only goes down to 50Hz) and also a slight difference around the 1.5K range but it's so small as to be negligible.

The drummer in one of my bands here in Chicago is an electrical engineer for Shure, so I know what I'm about to say is extremely accurate: the main difference between the two mics is the ball screen on the 58. Shure coats it with a special coating that changes the way the source sound reaches the capsule; the source sound bouncing around inside the ball screen is what makes the biggest difference in preceived sound between the 57 & 58. So, if you just unscrew the ball screen from the 58, then BAM! you basically have a 57, with only the differences I mentioned above, which for snare mic'ing, are entirely negligible. But I'd recommend using the uncovered 58 on the underside of the snare, as the capsule will be exposed and will not take kindly to being whacked with a drum stick. ;)

Hope that helps.

I had heard that they are similar before so that confirms it :)

Yeah, but that's the thing, you never know. I did a shoot out exactly as I described above, and because of that, I have a "cheap" AudioTechnica ATM63HE :eek: on my snare because it sounded better than the 57 I always had there.

Funnily enough I also have an old ATM63HE (got it for free so the price was right) and I also find it useful for snare, depending on the sound I want. I agree it's generally better than a 57 for that though--my other choice is an SDC if I want a brighter snare to "cut through" a bit more.

My advice;

I don't think I've ever agreed with a post more than this one.

I'm not doubting any of you guys because you all get great drum sounds but why the hate for room mics? I think they can add some lo-fi grit. They also add ambience. Often I struggle with digital reverb on drums do you guys use digital reverb? If so what plugs/reverb types/etc. Sorry if I am thread jacking.

I'm not doubting any of you guys because you all get great drum sounds but why the hate for room mics? I think they can add some lo-fi grit. They also add ambience. Often I struggle with digital reverb on drums do you guys use digital reverb? If so what plugs/reverb types/etc. Sorry if I am thread jacking.

I don't hate room mics, I just feel you have to have a room worth capturing. Most home studios most definitely are not a room worth capturing.

For me, I use impulse files for reverb. Convolution. They're usually way better and much more natural than typical VST plug-in reverbs. If you need some, I've got some pretty nice ones I'll give you.

That would be great! I will PM you my email address. And you are most likely right. I got sweet room sounds in a large treated church the same would probably not be true in my drummers house.

Back