Drum mic placement suggestions....

chadsxe

https://homerecording.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=19388

I am just looking for some ball park suggestions on Mic placement. I have 10 channels to work with. In the attached picture black = toms, yellow = crash, green = ride, blue = china, red = hi-hats, & pink = snare. This is a metal project so making the kit sound huge via rooms mics is not nessecary. A more direct sound is accepitable and as a matter of fact I will trigger the toms, kick and possible the snare(s). The toms and kick are going to be muffled to elminate the OH's picking them up. So my main focus is on the cymbals. I always have trouble getting the ride and Hi-hat to come through clear enough. Which makes me want to place two primary OH's and an indvidual mic on both the hats and ride. Since I have never miced the ride/hat I was looking for some suggestion to keep the phase in an acceptable range with the OH's. One thing that worries me is how the china and crash float over the ride.

I guess another good question to ask would be about my pre selection for the 2 oh and ride/hat mics. I have a Great River MP -2NV and a DMP3 to work with. Would you suggestoin sticking the GR on the OH or the indvidual Ride/Hat mics? Any opinions would help.

Thanks

Chad

Ok this is what i do.
My OHs are placed quite low down coming from behind the drummer pointing at the snare drum, but also so they capture the cymbals. Watch out for phasing between the OHs. Listen to them together without panning them before tracking.

The kick I use a D112 at the hole facing straight beside the beater. Optional mics to try are SM58 right up in the drum at the beater, and also an aditional kick drum shell taped on to the original kick drum shell. Place another D112 at the hole of the second drum. Remeber to allign the phase of the waves after tracking to produce a tighter sound.
For the snare an Sm57 on top close miced pointing at an anlge of a bit more than 45 degrees facing mid from the out and the centre of the skin. Optional mics can be another SM57 on the bottom to capture more snap of snare (brighter sound) and also a mic facing the wee hole of the snare on the shell if it has one. If no hole still try it.
Tons i use SM58s and have got best results from them close miced facing almost the outer of the skins.

Back