Drum Kit From Hell Newbie

Stavencrows

Hi, I'm trying to get started using DFH and I'm a bit confused with how to use the ambient room samples with the closely miked sound together to "create a wide variety of general drumsounds."
Do I create two MIDI tracks and play them at the same time, mix them down into a wav file and apply eq/reverb etc. to them like you would a standard drum recording. What's the general way to go about using this software? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thats why they call it "Drum Kit From Hell".

Sorry, I simply couldn't resist.

Anyone else?

What is your host application?(Sonar,Cubase,etc...)
You may want to post a thread in that forum as mixdown may be different in each host software.

Stavencrows said:
Hi, I'm trying to get started using DFH and I'm a bit confused with how to use the ambient room samples with the closely miked sound together to "create a wide variety of general drumsounds."
Do I create two MIDI tracks and play them at the same time, mix them down into a wav file and apply eq/reverb etc. to them like you would a standard drum recording. What's the general way to go about using this software? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE

Which version of Drum Kit From Hell (e.g., DFH, DFH2, DFHS)? Are you using Native Instrument Kompakt?

You can assign each part of the kit to different output channels (providing you have a multi-output card).

acidrock said:
What is your host application?(Sonar,Cubase,etc...)

Hi, I'm using Cubase SE and Halion to get it working

Simman Which version of Drum Kit From Hell (e.g. said:
Hi, I'm using the first DFH

I can get it working through MIDI and if I want to I've mixed it down to a wav, I'm just unsure of how to use the miked and ambient sounds together/seperately. And should I be mixing down to a wav at all?

I'd record the kit as if it was "real"; everything to a seperate track. That gives you the most options when mixing down the entire song.

Simman said:
I'd record the kit as if it was "real"; everything to a seperate track. That gives you the most options when mixing down the entire song.

Yeah, I have got each drum going out of a different channel - e.g. cymbals(1) kick(2) snare(3) however there are two types of sample for each drum - closely miked and ambient. If I've got my snare coming out of channel 3, do I choose the miked or ambient or both?

yeah, I'll try that thanks. I just prefer this forum, it was meant to be more of a "how do you go about getting the best out of DFH" question but came across more as too technical. Oh well.

Stavencrows said:
Yeah, I have got each drum going out of a different channel - e.g. cymbals(1) kick(2) snare(3) however there are two types of sample for each drum - closely miked and ambient. If I've got my snare coming out of channel 3, do I choose the miked or ambient or both?

Kick - Track 1
Snare - Track 2
* Snare Bottom - Track ? (Don't know if DFH has this)
Toms - Track 3 & 4 (Stereo)
HH - Track 5
OH - 7 & 8 (Stereo)
Ambient - 9 & 10 (Stereo)

Back