Drum Cover Videos

This isn’t widely known...... but. Phenomenal drumming on this track.

See if you can guess who the drummer is. No cheating. :-)

I’d imagine this one would be a bit of a challenge........maybe not.

Maybe........ but a 100 non musicians probably won’t listen to drum covers on the tube either. ;)
You make a good point, bastard. :D

It's actually a very cool tune. A little slow and nothing challenging going on with the drums. But I love the tune.

That Masters Of Reality tune is extremely cool. I love that. The drums aren't as challenging as they might sound. Very "Ballroom Blitz"-ish, which I've already done a complete cover of (not just drums).

I think the next one I might tackle is "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter. That will be a challenge, especially since I'm going to have to do both parts of the percussion/drum tradeoff.

That Masters Of Reality tune is extremely cool. I love that. The drums aren't as challenging as they might sound. Very "Ballroom Blitz"-ish, which I've already done a complete cover of (not just drums).

I think the next one I might tackle is "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter. That will be a challenge, especially since I'm going to have to do both parts of the percussion/drum tradeoff.
But did you guess the drummer?

Frankenstein would be a good one :thumbs up:

No...But Tommy Aldridge is aways a good guess.

Ginger Baker

Story to go along with that. MOR used to rehearse in my studio and I got to be friends with them.

I once remarked that the first Masters of Reality record made me think of what Cream might have evolved into had they stayed together.

Chris Goss ( singer) just grinned and said come to the next rehearsal. Got a surprise for you.

Well, I did.

To my pleasant shock, there’s Ginger Fucking Baker behind the kit, less than 10 feet away.

First song they kicked into was “she’s got me.”

That was a wow moment!

Wow! That really is cool.

That might be the most subdued and structured I've ever heard Ginger play. In Cream, he was all over the place, all the time.

Reactions: RFR
By the way, if anyone wants to use the drum tracks I'm putting up, let me know. I can send you wave files of just my drum track for any tune. Use them as you like. It's free. :D

Reactions: RFR
Ginger Baker

Story to go along with that. MOR used to rehearse in my studio and I got to be friends with them.

I once remarked that the first Masters of Reality record made me think of what Cream might have evolved into had they stayed together.

Chris Goss ( singer) just grinned and said come to the next rehearsal. Got a surprise for you.

Well, I did.

To my pleasant shock, there’s Ginger Fucking Baker behind the kit, less than 10 feet away.

First song they kicked into was “she’s got me.”

That was a wow moment!
You should write a book of past experiences! wink wink

RD, I don't know if you've run across this channel, but it's a different slant on what you are doing.. Some of the results are really interesting.

RD, I don't know if you've run across this channel, but it's a different slant on what you are doing.. Some of the results are really interesting.

It's a cool concept. Attacking tunes you've never heard before and putting your take on them.

But, I got to be honest, the dude can play, but I can't stand his drumming, if that makes sense. Even it doesn't, it makes sense to me. :D

Perfect example of a very technically talented musician who can't just play the groove. He completely butchered the Nirvana tune. I get it. He has never heard the tune and that's his spontanious take on it. That's cool, I guess. But all the double time stuff and the overplaying is just a weird way to approach a tune like this.

I have to watch more of his videos before I really make a judgement. But I'll take Ringo over a guy like this any day of the week. :)

There are several other videos on the channel with other drummers.

I think part of the problem that he had was that he was approaching it from a jazz perspective, not a rock drummer. It's a completely different approach.

Here's another. Note how the guy listens the first time and makes notes on the changes so he's got a better idea of when to make breaks, etc.

Now THAT'S how you approach a tune you've never heard before. I like what he did on that as much as the original. It's not better or worse, just different, and it works. Much better that that other jazz clown, no comparison.

(To be honest, I almost never listen to drummers. I'm more into listening to guitar players, if anything. I get blown away by great vocals. Actually, I'm just into good songs) :)

Last edited:
Back