Drag and Drop in CEP Multitrack view?

Chang

Folks:

This is kind of a silly question, but I’ll give it a shot:

I’m trying a demo version of CEP 2.0 (I am thinking about purchasing Audition 1.5) and am surprised by one thing – when I tried the demo version of CEP 1.0 (I think it was called 1.0) a number of years ago, I was able to “drag and drop” tracks in the multitrack view in order to, say, line up various tracks with the beat or with other parts of the song.

For some reason I am unable to drag and drop tracks in my current demo version of 2.0: am I forgetting something (it has been a number of years)? Does anyone have any suggestions/explanations for this?

Thanks much.

Chang

It could just be limitations of the demo program itself. I have no problem dragging and dropping in 2.0, but i know there is a very limited amount of things you can do in the demo.

Paul

I just tried dragging a file into the Audition 1.5 multitrack view, and it works fine. I'd never tried it before! Not my preferred way of working, but each to his own. (I have "Insert Audio" mapped to the "W" key - [= Wave] then I pick from the list).

ozpeter talks about dragging files - not tracks. But Elusion says you can drag and drop tracks - Elusion, can you tell Chang and I how? I've tried every combination of mouse clicks and dragging - won't happen.

In other words, say from top to bottom you have Track 1 Drums, Track 2 Guitar, Track 3 Bass. You want to drag Track 3 Bass, and move it up one place so that it's now between Track 1 Drums and Track 2 Guitar (like you can do with ProTools).

Can you really drag the entire track up and down the stack? I've looked everywhere for info, and can't discover if this can be done, or how.

TIA

i don't think you can move tracks by drag and drop. i've used CEP for over 2 years now and never found a way to do it. annoying, really...

milehigh said:
Can you really drag the entire track up and down the stack? I've looked everywhere for info, and can't discover if this can be done, or how.

TIA
yeah,...we're talking about 2 different things here I think, but what you're asking you can definitely do. Just right click on whatever file you want to move and (first...select "lock in time" so that it won't slide left or right), then, hold down the right click button and just move your mouse up or down...it'll move the track.

(please see horribly blurry screen shots attached...the red track was moved).

Attachments

• track-move.jpg
    track-move.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 48
ozpeter said:
I just tried dragging a file into the Audition 1.5 multitrack view, and it works fine. I'd never tried it before! Not my preferred way of working, but each to his own. (I have "Insert Audio" mapped to the "W" key - [= Wave] then I pick from the list).

Yeah, that's a different thing than I think these guys are talking about, (you're talking about true drag and drop) but I just tried it for the first time too and it does indeed work :D

chrisharris said:
yeah,...we're talking about 2 different things here I think, but what you're asking you can definitely do. Just right click on whatever file you want to move and (first...select "lock in time" so that it won't slide left or right), then, hold down the right click button and just move your mouse up or down...it'll move the track.

(please see horribly blurry screen shots attached...the red track was moved).

HOLY CRAP! you're a godsend. i've always HATED that i couldn't do that and never found anything about it in the "help" section. thanks for the tip! :)

In CEP 2.1 they added the ability to move whole tracks around back into the program, it had been removed in version 2.0, and was something that a lot of people who upgraded from 1.2a had used and wanted put back in.

If you have 2.1 you can put the cursor on the far left edge of a track, not on the waveblock, but to the left of the volume/pan/eq info boxes, by the track name, right next to the "scroll handle" or whatever it's called, and the cursor will become a 4 pointed arrow, you can then left click, and the whole track becomes highlighted, then you can move it up or down in the multi-track and drop it wherever you want, all waveblocks and automation envelopes in the track will move with it, as well as track name, FX/volume/pan/EQ settings, everything moves.

Strryder said:
If you have 2.1 you can put the cursor on the far left edge of a track, not on the waveblock, but to the left of the volume/pan/eq info boxes, by the track name, right next to the "scroll handle" or whatever it's called, and the cursor will become a 4 pointed arrow, ...
HOLY CRAP!!! hehehee...that's cool. Thanks man.

Hmm ... I've got version 2.0 (2095.) and none of these moves you've all described will work for me ... :( Still no way to move tracks.

I do have Adobe Audition but I've never loaded it. This may be the time to switch ...

Oops, I was indeed answering the wrong question.

Strryder has it summarised nicely above in terms of which versions do what. I'll just add that to move blocks without slipping them sideways, right click on the block, and while doing so THEN hold down the shift key, and when you drag, you'll not be able accidentally to drag sideways. Saves locking. But if you press shift first, then drag, you'll make a copy of the block, so the order of finger-moves is important.

4 cornered pointer - how do you change it back

Hi there

I'm using Adobe Audition and came across this thread while trying to understand what I'd accidentally done change the cursor permanently to the 4 point 'plus sign' - it has swapped the dragging wavs about to the left click mouse and when I try to right click it is copying the wav file. I used the left click to position where I wanted it to start playing from - Im a radio presenter and use this function a lot when editing interview.

Please can someone help? It's driving me crazy and taking 10 times longer to cut my audio!

Thanks in advance,
Jules

Back