Doubling Vocals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's done as much as you think it is. I rarely double the lead vocal these days unless we are after that particular sound. Backing vocals more often.

Alan.

I think its done more than you think, Were not talking about who you record, were talking commercial recordings

Before you claim to be somebody fix the vocals on your demos, they are pitchy, you probably dont have the ear to hear it but they sound pretty weak
Im not sure I claimed to be someone. I also only do the work that I get paid to do. If the client likes the performance, that's the end of it. Some of those "demos" are quite old and pre-date auto-tune plugins.
Someday, I might take the time to update the site, but I really can't be bothered as I am generally too busy actually working in the studio.

I think its done more than you think, Were not talking about who you record, were talking commercial recordings

I do record commercial releases? Are you sure you know what you are asking about? Are you talking about double tracking or that annoying auto tune sound that seems to be on everything coming out?

If you don't think we are professional enough to ask go to some other site and ask your question.

Alan.

Double tracking vocals is a stupid gimmick. I hate hearing it. Just let the singer sing the song.

C,mon guys....you chased off the OP before we even got to page 2.

Give him some more rope for goodness sake. ;)

I do record commercial releases? Are you sure you know what you are asking about? Are you talking about double tracking or that annoying auto tune sound that seems to be on everything coming out?

If you don't think we are professional enough to ask go to some other site and ask your question.

Alan.

No, I didnt mention auto tune. Doubling is every bit as common as it ever was and moreso, the sound has to be the best possible to get people to buy what they can get for free

Im asking other home recording people, Im not asking somebody to talk to me like they are a top engineer for todays hits.

That tone was all over every answer, telling me what was wrong with my end, as if your work is flawless.

Double tracking vocals is a stupid gimmick. I hate hearing it. Just let the singer sing the song.

How is it a gimmick? A gimmick is taking your clothes off on stage, a doubled vocal is just a sound enhancer

If the singers should just sing, should we take away reverb and compression and noise gates? Then we'd really have a hard time selling records cause it be the same as playing live. I enjoy the live sound, but when it comes to making records the sound is everything

No, I didnt mention auto tune. Doubling is every bit as common as it ever was and moreso, the sound has to be the best possible to get people to buy what they can get for free

Im asking other home recording people, Im not asking somebody to talk to me like they are a top engineer for todays hits.

You just contradicted yourself earlier you said this to me "I think its done more than you think, Were not talking about who you record, were talking commercial recordings", so who do you want to talk to?

I was just asking a question about what sound were trying to get, so then I get attitude back about auto tune. For your information auto tune used in a certain way can sound like doubling, like back in the 80's when they used harmonisers to create a double tracked vocal by pitch shifting the vocal slightly and bringing it back to another track/channel.

Keep talking to people like this and you won't get any help here.

Alan.

I'm not even sure what was/is being asked anymore.

I mean....there have been a bunch of solid replies about double tracking vocals and how to do it....yet the OP keeps asking, how do you do it so that's perfect.
To which the replies have been.....you get good at it.
To which he replies....no, even crappy female singers get it perfect.

I get the feeling that the OP thinks we are just not willing to tell him the real secret about double tracking.
I'm not sure why he's being both defensive and offensive from post to post.

What is still the question here? :)

I mean....there have been a bunch of solid replies about double tracking vocals and how to do it....yet the OP keeps asking, how do you do it so that's perfect.

Talent & practice spring to mind.

Alan.

You just contradicted yourself earlier you said this to me "I think its done more than you think, Were not talking about who you record, were talking commercial recordings", so who do you want to talk to?

I was just asking a question about what sound were trying to get, so then I get attitude back about auto tune. For your information auto tune used in a certain way can sound like doubling, like back in the 80's when they used harmonisers to create a double tracked vocal by pitch shifting the vocal slightly and bringing it back to another track/channel.

Keep talking to people like this and you won't get any help here.

Alan.

Oh yes, wouldnt that be terrible, not getting any help from the esteemed panel. Your answers are stupid, id prefer you not to answer, you bring auto tune into something that has nothing to do with anything. Whether or not aotu tune gives the effect, the question was how to double a lead vocal, not how to use auto tune for it.

Vibrato in a voice is never the same for anyone, I dont know how they achieve this. Most parts are usually without vibrato and I guess that is by design

Oh yes, wouldnt that be terrible, not getting any help from the esteemed panel. Your answers are stupid, id prefer you not to answer, you bring auto tune into something that has nothing to do with anything. Whether or not aotu tune gives the effect, the question was how to double a lead vocal, not how to use auto tune for it.

Vibrato in a voice is never the same for anyone, I dont know how they achieve this. Most parts are usually without vibrato and I guess that is by design

Who mentioned Vibrato?

To which the replies have been.....you get good at it.
To which he replies....no, even crappy female singers get it perfect.

I get the feeling that the OP thinks we are just not willing to tell him the real secret about double tracking.
I'm not sure why he's being both defensive and offensive from post to post.

What is still the question here? :)

The question was doubling a lead vocal and how the subtlties of say the vibrato in ones voice can be different every time one opens their mouth. I do notice that most doubled passages are done without vibrato like big choruses. But Do you have recordings of you doubling a lead vocal, since you so thoroughly demonstrated how it is done?

Id like to hear this, mostly to see if I need to ask you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back