Doubling Vocals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what the problem is with normal pronunciation. What's happening that it makes you need to sing with a cockney accent?

I don't understand what the problem is with normal pronunciation. What's happening that it makes you need to sing with a cockney accent?

Lol.
An example would be if there's a long held word at the end of a phrase, ending with a hard consonant. Like " NIiiiiIiiiiiIiiight".
When I'm doing the harmonies I'll just sing NiiiiiiiiiIIIiiii, because one T is enough.

I never do it for the sake of it or sing with a deaf accent though. :p

I was hot on doubling when I first started. It was all because of this:

Such a perfect gal, and a genius of a man.

When I do a double vocals I don't worry too much about slight discrepancies. It's not like I really know what I'm talking about, but I think in life a slight variation always adds a bit of excitement. Why would it be different in music? I prefer a bit of the unexpected.

One solution is the Eventide Harmonizer, as Peter Gabriel used. You set it for 99%, and it's almost exactly the same note, but sounds like you recorded it again, or doubled it. Two signals out of one, in one vocal take.

I know, it's amaziballs! I'm pretty sure there's a vid on youtube where Les explains the details of the ground breaking double track to some dim wit before they start playing...but I couldn't find it.

I have said it before on a couple of posts, but the film "Chasing The Sound" is a really good documentary on this guy. As you have seen, not only did he pioneer the solid body, he and his wife, Mary Ford had something like 20 number ones on the charts, he pioneered recording techniques, but he played pretty damn good as well.

He was still playing the circuit up until his death. Amazing guy.

I have said it before on a couple of posts, but the film "Chasing The Sound" is a really good documentary on this guy. As you have seen, not only did he pioneer the solid body, he and his wife, Mary Ford had something like 20 number ones on the charts, he pioneered recording techniques, but he played pretty damn good as well.

He was still playing the circuit up until his death. Amazing guy.

I know 'Chasing the Sound' well. Watched it about 3 times, it's one of my favourite music docos. He's a sweet dude, humble as, they both are.

I dont think you can edit inflections just timing issues. If one line ends with a slight breathiness, and the other ends with less breathiness, and maybe
a tad behind or in front, it now sounds sloppy. The voice is so complex that I dont think it can be doubled perfectly.

Im an experienced vocalist, the groove is not the problem, the changes in the vocals dynamics can be controlled, but not the sound of it. Maybe one line the vibrato rolls off a smidgen earlier than the previous one. One line is scratchier the other smoother, one seems to go smoothly over one word, but not so the others, wheras the second one will go smoothly in different parts.

I have yet to hear a vocal double from home recording people that sounds great, although some sound good. Commercial recordings always sound good, I guess the mix helps

And I realize not everybody on the radio does it in two takes, lucky if they do it in 20

Except Freddy Mercury according to Brian May who phased his doubles on the takes

Except Freddy Mercury according to Brian May who phased his doubles on the takes

I get lots of people who do that. Mostly professional singers who spent a decent amount of time being backup singers. That kind of training and experience forces you to know exactly what and how you are going to sing something, since you are generally singing with three or more other people and are expected to be tight as a drum.

I don't see why people think its impossible. Its just a skill that you have to hone. It takes time and specific effort to do well, but it isn't particularly difficult.

As with anything else in music, you need to be in time and in tune. Once you have that covered, tone is all that's left.

So true. You have to work at it. What happened to that rude dude? I think there might be something wrong with him. He seemed less interested in an honest answer than in picking a fight. Weird.

So true. You have to work at it. What happened to that rude dude? I think there might be something wrong with him. He seemed less interested in an honest answer than in picking a fight. Weird.

It's the interwebs. No-one has a "face" :cool:

It is like the OP is sayin': "I am here to ask a question, if I like your answer" :wtf:

No what it's almost as like is "we think we are superstar recording experts, and so if anybody asks a question, then that means they are inferior to us" but NOT

Answer a question as if Im one of your peers, otherwise dont answer

This entire debate hinges on the idea that double tracking should be neat and tidy.

When did this happen? Go listen to some Bowie.

If you wanna be a pop star when you grow up then maybe that's different. Suck it up and work hard.
There's absolutely no room for guessing or improvising.

I work with a guy who never plays or sings the same thing twice. Drives me fucking mental.

When did this happen? Go listen to some Bowie.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ive NEVER heard of Bowie :facepalm:

If you wanna be a pop star when you grow up then maybe that's different. Suck it up and work hard.
There's absolutely no room for guessing or improvising.

Well, im better than YOU are, so now answer.

Has nothing to do with pop music, its used in all genres

Yeah double-tracking works best when its not perfect.

That depends one what style the song is, and what the desired effect is. A very melodic or complex melody song it does not work as well

Straight forward songs its easier. And thats because its easier to double a couple of lines in a chorus where the melody is simpler than it is than say a bridge or a later verse, it starts to get cluttered, but it adds alot to it if it can be done well

As with anything else in music, you need to be in time and in tune. Once you have that covered, tone is all that's left.

OHHHHH, I thought one could go to music store, buy a mic, never having sung before, and sing like a pro in a studio.

Tone is all thats left? What about dynamics, What about emotion, characterization, what about different vocal techniques for different songs.

But IMMMMM the one asking questions :facepalm:

Because an honest answer means that maybe YOU, arent getting great results either. Do you think it would shock anybody if your music and recordings suck? Answer from one home recording guy to another, your not anybody to be talking like Chuck Plotkin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back