Don't Take It So Hard....

Man the drums and bass sound great. I don't really have any nits. I would like to hear more room on the drums, but that is a personal thing. I am listening on cans - but I am pretty used to them by now. Guitars feel a little like they are floating on top, but damned if I have any advice cause I suck at recording and mixing guitars.

I've not read through the thread - sorry if I duplicate or aggravate.
I have no prob with the bass level or tone.
You are the funkiest bassist in the clinic - most folk don't put as much syncopation into their rhythm section.
It work because it works and you play your rhythms so well.
Cool song and, as usual, nicely jaundiced lyrics.

Man the drums and bass sound great. I don't really have any nits. I would like to hear more room on the drums, but that is a personal thing. I am listening on cans - but I am pretty used to them by now. Guitars feel a little like they are floating on top, but damned if I have any advice cause I suck at recording and mixing guitars.

I've not read through the thread - sorry if I duplicate or aggravate.
I have no prob with the bass level or tone.
You are the funkiest bassist in the clinic - most folk don't put as much syncopation into their rhythm section.
It work because it works and you play your rhythms so well.
Cool song and, as usual, nicely jaundiced lyrics.
Thanx so much, guys. I really appreciate that.

To be fair to the others who commented before, I've since turned down the bass. So, those who said it was too loud were correct at the time.

Hey, Rami. :)

The first time I listened to this, I thought the kick might be too loud, but on my second listen I don't think it is. Everything is very tight and punchy as usual. I have a similar preference for a slightly more ambient sound, as somebody mentioned earlier, but I can't criticise it on that score. It all sounds great.

Sounds really good dude. All my comments are nits:

On my system the hi-hats are pretty forward in the mix - certainly in front of the guitars. They draw the ear first (after the vocals) but it seems to me it ought to be

1. Vocals
2. Guitar
3. Bass
4. Drums

...in this particular case.

The toms sound good but also perhaps gated/muffled to an unnatural level. There is a fill at 2:51 that kind of surprises. It's an awesome fill but there aren't very many tom fills prior to that and it's kind of like "whoa where the fuck did that come from?" You don't really introduce the toms earlier in the song except as paired with the snare (for the most part). JMO but if you want to take liberties to spice things up with tom fills later in a song sometimes they feel more natural if you set up for that by introducing the toms early on. The fill at 2:59 feels incomplete even though the pause after it is very cool - I can see why you wanted that there.

I really like the vocal harmonizations around 2:00 and 3:00. The use of panning there is excellent IMO.

Hey, Rami. :)

The first time I listened to this, I thought the kick might be too loud, but on my second listen I don't think it is. Everything is very tight and punchy as usual. I have a similar preference for a slightly more ambient sound, as somebody mentioned earlier, but I can't criticise it on that score. It all sounds great.
Thanx a ot Bubba. I'll let this sit and give it a listen again in a few days. Maybe a lot of what I don't hear now will jump out at me then. I'm always scared of giving drums too much "ambience" mainly because the last place I want to go is the 80's, which I hate, with the big reverbed drums, etc....So maybe I make them too dry trying to compensate. I'll definitely keep an ear out for that, though.
Sounds really good dude. All my comments are nits:

On my system the hi-hats are pretty forward in the mix - certainly in front of the guitars. They draw the ear first (after the vocals) but it seems to me it ought to be

1. Vocals
2. Guitar
3. Bass
4. Drums

...in this particular case.

The toms sound good but also perhaps gated/muffled to an unnatural level. There is a fill at 2:51 that kind of surprises. It's an awesome fill but there aren't very many tom fills prior to that and it's kind of like "whoa where the fuck did that come from?" You don't really introduce the toms earlier in the song except as paired with the snare (for the most part). JMO but if you want to take liberties to spice things up with tom fills later in a song sometimes they feel more natural if you set up for that by introducing the toms early on. The fill at 2:59 feels incomplete even though the pause after it is very cool - I can see why you wanted that there.

I really like the vocal harmonizations around 2:00 and 3:00. The use of panning there is excellent IMO.

Thanx for that detailed response, IBB.

between you saying the hi-hats stick out and other stalking about the kik, I wonder if the drums are simply too loud. Like I said, I 'll let it sit for a days and then give it another listen.

Thanx a lot for all the help so far.

Back