Don't Take It So Hard....

R

RAMI

New one.

One of those tunes where I'm really not sure if the mix is right. Sometimes I hear the vocals too loud, sometimes I don't. Same thing with the drums, etc....Just basically a little un-sure about the levels for this one. As usual, I'm probably posting it too soon, rather than just letting it sit and giving it another listen in a few days.

But anyway, here it is.....you tell me.

DON'T TAKE IT SO HARD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Take It So Hard (Words and music by RAMI)

Tell myself I told me so
Nodding my head like I know
Flashing back but I can't recall
Reminisce with perfect strangers
Now the voices in your head
Keep talking to me instead
Heard you roll your eyes out loud
Trying to warn me of the danger

Chorus:
Don't take it so hard
Just let it slide

Piss myself off hold a grudge
Drag my own name through the mud
Out of 5 crazy people I know
I'm all 3 of them so I'll just leave us alone

Chorus:
Don't take it so hard
Just let it slide
Don't take it so hard
It will eat you alive

Watch you living on faith that's blind
But doubt is what keeps me alive
Digging your rosy point of view
But someone got to be cynical like me

Chorus:
Don't take it so hard
Just let it slide
Don't take it so hard
Don't let it eat you alive

Chorus:
Don't take it so hard
Just let it slide
Don't take it so hard
Don't let it eat you alive

Last edited:
fantastic job engineering and mixing this recording. Stellar tones IMO. Also, the lyric is great. I love the rhyme scheme. It's unusual and creative.I love everything you do Rami and even thought this is a little over syncopated for my personal taste I think it's excellent work!

Damn! Another Rami tune on my phone. Pretty soon with my bootleg I'll be rich!! hehehe.:cool::cool::cool:

Good Stuff man.:thumbs up: From an outside perspective, vocal level is fine to me.

ps. didn't send you a pm this time, know how you hate that. :D

fantastic job engineering and mixing this recording. Stellar tones IMO. Also, the lyric is great. I love the rhyme scheme. It's unusual and creative.I love everything you do Rami and even thought this is a little over syncopated for my personal taste I think it's excellent work!
Thanx a lot Jimi. Yeah, you noticed the rhyme scheme. It almost doesn't work, but I think it just fits. One of the verses sort of sounds like it should end with a "you" instead of a "me". I'm still debating that one, but maybe the slight awkwardness is a good thing, still haven't decided. Thanx a lot. :cool:

Damn! Another Rami tune on my phone. Pretty soon with my bootleg I'll be rich!! hehehe.:cool::cool::cool:
I'm keeping track. My attorneys "Dewey Screwem and Howe" will be getting in touch with you soon. :D

Good Stuff man.:thumbs up: From an outside perspective, vocal level is fine to me.
Great, thanx. I still don't love my vocals. Well, I love my harmonies, but my lead still leaves me a little un-sure. I find that I can do Alice Cooper and Mick Jagger, but I still don't know how RAMI should sound, if that makes sense.

ps. didn't send you a pm this time, know how you hate that. :D
I saw your tune and will comment on it. You never have to send me a PM. I'm just in and out of the gym with clients and then I have a drum student coming. Once I can sit and listen, you're at the top of my list. I love your stuff.

Just "funnin" with ya. :D

The PM comment was based on recent talk of "don't everyone start PMing me".

I've been guilty of that too. :D

Last edited:
Sounded very good. Just personal preferences...

The bass was a little sterile sounding and is a bit loud. The low end, to me, was just a bit too strong.

The main crunch rhythm guitar and the riff guitar had a bit of a bite to them. Especially the riff. Maybe a notch in the mid 2k'S and/or a small boost in the mid 200's.

The song had incredible punch to it. Drums and vocals sound great.

Sounded very good. Just personal preferences...

The bass was a little sterile sounding and is a bit loud. The low end, to me, was just a bit too strong.

The main crunch rhythm guitar and the riff guitar had a bit of a bite to them. Especially the riff. Maybe a notch in the mid 2k'S and/or a small boost in the mid 200's.

The song had incredible punch to it. Drums and vocals sound great.

Thanx a lot Trip.

I also thought the bass might be a bit loud. I was a little reluctant to bring it down because I thought it would then make the kik drum sound too loud, and I don't want to change my drum levels. But I will try turning down the bass and see what happens. I also agree that the guitars a re a little too bite-y.

I'm going to lay with all that and see if I can tame some of those issues. I really appreciate it.

Instead of just lowering the bass, maybe try a low end notch cut. Like in the 70-90 range. Might give it a little more warmth, while still getting it to sit right with the kick. And if that doesn't work, just lower the MFer. :)

Instead of just lowering the bass, maybe try a low end notch cut. Like in the 70-90 range. Might give it a little more warmth, while still getting it to sit right with the kick. And if that doesn't work, just lower the MFer. :)

Actually, I'm in the middle of playing with it right now. I didn't lower it.....but I didn't touch the EQ either. I just gave a little more compression, which does bring it down a bit. I'll see if that works. If not, I'll just lower the MFer. :D

Yeah, +1 on the bass being a little too prominent. Otherwise, another really solid song.

Thanx a lot Vom. OK I'll turn down the bass a bit, I trust you guys. :D

I think I was a little reluctant (stubborn?) for a couple of reasons. I was scared that turning down the bass would make then need to turn down the kik which would lead me into a game of chasing my tail.

I also have this thing where I'm saying to myself "If this exact same bass sound worked at this exact same volume for my other song, why does it not work at this volume for this song?". Of course, I know the answer is that every song is different, but I can't help being stubborn about that kind of thing sometimes. It's my OCD kicking in. I'm re-mixing it now. Thanx guys.

Love that riff (and it's tone). I think I had an eargasm when that first chord hit. :laughings:
Vocals at the end of the song are amazing with the left/right backups. Always a pleasure to hear a new RAMI tune.
Well, AFA the bass goes. I'm an old bass player and I absolutely love it as is...although there's one note that I hear (@ :19 and 2:23 and 3:18) that sounds just a bit sharp. Don't know why my ear is hearing that one note.

Love that riff (and it's tone). I think I had an eargasm when that first chord hit. :laughings:
Vocals at the end of the song are amazing with the left/right backups. Always a pleasure to hear a new RAMI tune.
Well, AFA the bass goes. I'm an old bass player and I absolutely love it as is...although there's one note that I hear (@ :19 and 2:23 and 3:18) that sounds just a bit sharp. Don't know why my ear is hearing that one note.
Thanx buddy.

I hear that note, too. I thought it was my imagination. I don't always hear it off, which is weird, so I thought it was just me. What's even weirder is that I hear it flat, rather than sharp. But either way, there's definitely something with the intonation of the bass I guess. Oh well, I'll call it "lo-fi" to satisfy the lame excuse crowd. Because, you know, if it's totally in tune, that would be pretentious or something. :D

Great mix RAMI.

The bass tone is really cool and if I'd managed it I'd probably turn it up a bit too. But it is a bit loud!

Hey, I'm just pleased that I noticed that and other people have also mentioned it too!

I think the wide rhythm guitars need a little more meat in them. Just a little. The bass isn't too loud. It's just this stark contrast between the thin-ish guitars and bass. A little chunkier guitar tone will smooth it all out more.

The rest is fantastic as usual. Drums, good. Bass, good. Vocals, good. It's all good.

Every thing sound good on my end. As usual, you make me sick.
Thanx Fuzz. I make me sick at times, too. But probably for entirely different reasons. :eek: :D

I think the wide rhythm guitars need a little more meat in them. Just a little. The bass isn't too loud. It's just this stark contrast between the thin-ish guitars and bass. A little chunkier guitar tone will smooth it all out more.

The rest is fantastic as usual. Drums, good. Bass, good. Vocals, good. It's all good.
OK cool. Thanx Greg. I didn't cut much with Eq, so I'm wondering if I just need more gain on those rythms. I usually have my gain in the 5-7 area for rythms. For this tune, I dialed it back to 4. So, I'm thinking this is the reason why. I'll play around with that for sure. Thanx a lot.

Back