don't take a look at my garage studio under construction

Manor Music

I've been busy building my garage into a recording/rehearsal studio for a few years now. "Construction" started a few weeks ago when I added a control room...just over four ft wide and close to ten ft long...there is a double-pane window I installed(Alamo Glass-$20) and it is close to an inch thick...40 inches long.

With a little extra framing and drywall I fashioned a custom wall rack built in thru the wall.
Insulation in the walls...caulked all the wooden studs with beads of silicon and let them dry before I screwed on the drywall...not sure if will help with acoustics but I figure it couldn't hurt. Still looking for a door to enclose the control room...looking for advice on sound reflection...how to pad the room so we can record a decent drum track...I thought I might hang some 2x2 carpet tiles on the walls...easier than making a bunch of wooden-framed acoustic panels...

My associate found us a big Dell server computer and we've managed to upload all of our favorite softwares..ProTools, Mixcraft FL ...we keep it out of the studio cause it is noisy with a sixpack of cooling fans and have extension wires bring the keyboard, monitor and mouse in and we minimize all the CPU noise that way. It gives us extra room in the studio too.

We've picked up a Digidesign 002 and it makes our pawnshop microphone collection sound much better...

Yard sale chairs...4 chairs at 5 bucks each...looks like Ikea
Gonna drop in some new lights in the ceiling and get rid of the big ugly fluorescent shop light when I catch my breath...

View attachment 85721
IMG_20140225_123947.jpgIMG_20140225_123947.jpgView attachment 85717View attachment 85718IMG_20140202_165112.jpgView attachment 85720View attachment 85720

Your computer is very neat and clean! Like the through-the-wall rack, but the picture is blurry enough that it's hard to identify the components. Nice space, though.

4'x10' control room? As long are you're not mixing in there!

As to sound treatment in your tracking room. Don't skimp, build some broadband absorbancy panels (bass traps). Carpet tiles will muffle some highs, and leave the mids and bass to muddy everything up.

Hang on I will just put my glasses on so I can see the photos ......??????? :eek: Wait a minute! My glasses are on! :laughings:

Alan.

How are those components attached to the wall? Are they easily removed when you finish the walls? Chunks of carpet won't do much for you. Easier than building proper panels, but yawning is easier than going to work, isn't it?

Back