Don't Buy the Wrong Quantegy Tape on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
FALKEN said:
QUESTION!

is pre-quantegy ampex 456 still good? if it is new in box? how old is it and should I stay away? will it harm my machine?

Chances are that it's good. However, check the date as "Raw-Tracks" points out. If you have a more "recent" tape then that's good news but if it dates back to around the end of 70's or early 80's then there may be a problem. Not with tape in general mind you, as tapes can, when a proper binder is used and it's stored properly, last a lifetime. Some Ampex tapes from around 1980 had binder probs and disintegrated quickly. Good news is that this happened to only a small amount of these tapes, but significant enough that many had reported it and that it made "news". Also, it won't matter if the tape is sealed or not. If the binder is crap then you will definitely see it. Best advice is to try the tape, if you have it. However, personally, I would not purchase Ampex tape 'cause you never know what you are buying. However, it's always a good idea to ask the seller (if buying eBay) for the date code.

Daniel

well...the reason I ask..is cuz I already bought it. yea, I'm a dumbass. but I didn't mean to; actually, after I bid on the crap I realized right away it wasn't what I wanted. here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT#ebayphotohosting

I actually got 2 reels of the stuff from this guy. I believe that this item is misleading, because the title is: "

Ampex/Quantegy 456 Analog Reel-to-Reel Audio Tape 1/2"

when obviously it is NOT quantegy. further down in the description it says:

"Items are verified to leave our premises in working order and in the condition described in the auction listing
If an item is received and it does not match the listing and description, please contact us right away. "

I wonder if I have to have this guy ship it to me before I tell him the item does not match the description. problem is I have 100% positive feedback and don't want this b/s to screw that up.

what would you do?

FALKEN said:
well...the reason I ask..is cuz I already bought it. yea, I'm a dumbass. but I didn't mean to; actually, after I bid on the crap I realized right away it wasn't what I wanted. here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...4305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT#ebayphotohosting

I actually got 2 reels of the stuff from this guy. I believe that this item is misleading, because the title is: "

"Items are verified to leave our premises in working order and in the condition described in the auction listing
If an item is received and it does not match the listing and description, please contact us right away. "

I wonder if I have to have this guy ship it to me before I tell him the item does not match the description. problem is I have 100% positive feedback and don't want this b/s to screw that up.

what would you do?

Please don't misunderstand ... I'm not saying it's bad tape. It more likely is good but it's always good practice to note the date code on Ampex tapes. My advice is to go ahead and purchase it and if the tape had sticky-shed you can just request a refund from the seller, with proof that the tape is bad etc ... Again, I think the tape is ok, but ask for the date code next time to remove any chance you got a really old approx 1980's batch.

Also, the seller's "Ampex/Quantegy" terminology, albeit not accurate, most likely is for key words and not outright deception. Perhaps he doesn't know any better. We should though. ;)

~Daniel

Ampex is synonymous with Quantegy, for purposes of this discussion.

I don't think you have an issue with that. This tape is new/oldstock, and 9 times out of 10 you should be okay with it, with no adverse effects.

I wonder, as a more [IMO] relevant "reality check", is why you'd over pay on Ebay for some obvious new/oldstock tape, when you could get a similar new reel of tape for about 60% that price, retail? 1/2" Quantegy 456 is about $35/reel from reputable retailers. That's the issue I'd be concerned about.

Just my 2¢

FALKEN said:

what would you do?

That tape is probably just fine. One way to tell the new formula of 456 is that the label is across the bottom of the box, just as in your photo. Ampex changed to that new style of box right about the time they introduced the new tape formulation. The old style box used through early 1994 has the label across the center of the box like this:

http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/4c/3b/ed_1_b.JPG

This seller (source of these pictures) was thoughtful enough to show the label with the date code, but I'm sorry to say this tape should be avoided to be 100% confident it won't have sticky shed syndrome.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/4b/d2/e1_1_b.JPG

Ampex tape made in late 1994 and after is absolutely as good as Quantegy labeled.

Here is the bottom line rule of thumb -- if its labeled Quantegy (began in 1998) it is the new formula, but if it's labeled Ampex you should always ask for the date code from the box to be safe -- late 1994 or 1995 and after to be sure. I've had sealed reels from 1993 fall to pieces all over my machine. But reels from 94, 95 and 97 were as good as new.

Properly handled and stored, tape will last indefinitely. It doesn't really expire like hamburger or something.

-Tim
:cool:

A Reel Person said:
I wonder, as a more [IMO] relevant "reality check", is why you'd over pay on Ebay for some obvious new/oldstock tape, when you could get a similar new reel of tape for about 60% that price, retail? 1/2" Quantegy 456 is about $35/reel from reputable retailers. That's the issue I'd be concerned about.

Just my 2¢

Normally I would wonder the same thing, Reel, but right now every supplier I've called is currently out of stock. One said to order ahead because they are expecting some, but no one knows for sure if or when. The prices have also gone up. They don't want to lose sales so they are putting the best face on it -- rumors are flying but no tape yet.

-Tim

Last edited:
Yeah, I've seen tape retailers run out of stock,...

so the feeding frenzy is on!!

You'll probably be fine with the Ampex 456 you've bought. I'd not sweat it, for now.

Sure, the box of Quantegy 456 is newer, and in that heavy duty plastic box. It would be fine. BIN for $89 is price gouging, for sure, but you can't expect less in today's market.

Not to go out on a limb and predict the future, but of what I've read, Quantegy filed bankruptcy due to plain old fashioned mismanagement. The tape division was profitable, and there's certainly demand, as we've seen the feeding frenzy commence!

Not predicting the future, but analog heads might want to hold onto their seats, and await the next coming of Quantegy. Meanwhile, get what you can, and be happy about it.

FALKEN said:
to answer a few of the responses:

I honestly read quantegy 456 and thought to throw a bid out. then I saw the pictures and hoped someone would outbid me; which didn't happen.

I thew out a bid that I actually thought was low (60) because the list price is actually 89, which some people are selling for now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15199&item=3779203866&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

that is what I am now thinking I should have bought.

thanks for the help.

$89.00 is on the high side, but he might get it considering the current situation. I saw a couple go for $92.00 each last week. The only thing I've never liked about the plastic "tape-care" box is that you have to take the seller's word for it that it's new. It's not sealed in plastic.

I would buy late production Ampex as happily as Quantegy labeled with no hesitation. You didn't pay too much for the tape you won. You did a lot better than many others during the last couple weeks.

Beck said:
http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/4c/3b/ed_1_b.JPG

This seller (source of these pictures) was thoughtful enough to show the label with the date code, but I'm sorry to say this tape should be avoided to be 100% confident it won't have sticky shed syndrome.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/4b/d2/e1_1_b.JPG

Beck,

The pictures you are citing are actually from one of my auctions. I just want to be clear that if any of these tapes do turn out to be bad, I state in the auction that they can be returned. I highly doubt there is a problem with these tapes, but if there is, I am prepared to take care of the buyer.

Raw-Tracks said:
Beck,

The pictures you are citing are actually from one of my auctions. I just want to be clear that if any of these tapes do turn out to be bad, I state in the auction that they can be returned. I highly doubt there is a problem with these tapes, but if there is, I am prepared to take care of the buyer.

Thanks for the info. Backing up your product makes these tapes as attractive as newer production. Let me clarify that it shouldn't be assumed that all pre-94 tapes have sticky shed, but rather that all post-94 will not because of a change in binder formula. The breakdown in tape binder is related to climate and storage practices. As I stated though, to be 100% sure of avoiding sticky tape in general the new formula started production in late 1994.

Most sellers offer older tape as-is, which is huge risk. If you have a knowledgeable seller that knows and backs the product it certainly eliminates the risk.

-Tim

A Reel Person said:
I'm happy with the 031 white box media for $2.95/reel. I put my finals on it as much as anything else. I have stocks of (031), 456, 457, 3M 226, 3M 806 and a few reels of 499 on 7" reels. Probably more, I just can't remember. :eek:

I just scored a huge load of 031 for future use. The 031 media has it's place. My place.

Thanx.

Cheers. ;)

where does one acquire this $2.95/reel tape?

My place. I think I bought it all.

If you're in Los Angeles, there's a place.... tell'ya later... (I'd have to verify they have any left). I'll probably check next week.

I've found an online outlet that would sell Quantegy 041, (1800' version of 031), 3-pack for about $12,... if they had any,... but due to this Quantegy bankruptcy, they're temporarily out of stock.

I'll post more updates as the details change.

FALKEN said:

what would you do?

Ok. So I got the reels today. Not only are they not the ones pictured in the item descriptions, but the reels do not match the boxes, the bags are opened, and one of the metal reels is scratched.

Is there any way to tell if (a) this is conterfeit or, worse (b) it is used?

Thanks.

FALKEN said:
Ok. So I got the reels today. Not only are they not the ones pictured in the item descriptions, but the reels do not match the boxes, the bags are opened, and one of the metal reels is scratched.

Thanks.

The seller in his auction description states: "Brand new in box, never been used!". Obviously, from what YOU received is in contrast to what was advertised both in the description and auction photos. When someone states "NEW" then they must abide by that definition. You've been ripped off. There's really not a kinder word to use here. Whether it was by negligence or purposly, I don't know. Lets assume the seller was negligent. Contact them and say that the tapes don't match what was advertised and request a prompt refund, both for the tapes and shipping (both ways). If seller denies any wrong doing or is a pain to deal with, then file a claim under the eBay fraud protection policy or call your credit card and have them reverse the charges. Make sure you take good and clear photos of what you have received, save the auction page and any critical info.

~Daniel

Yeah, that.

"Return Policy:
If an item is received and does not match our description, we will take the item back within 7 days of receipt of product"
=========
Just exercise the return option.

Top that off with doing a charge-back against Visa and Paypal.

Put the icing on the cake by posting negative feedback and filing a fraud report with Ebay.

A Reel Person said:
"Return Policy:
If an item is received and does not match our description, we will take the item back within 7 days of receipt of product"
=========
Just exercise the return option.

Top that off with doing a charge-back against Visa and Paypal.

Put the icing on the cake by posting negative feedback and filing a fraud report with Ebay.

I'm with Dave on that one. Fu*k the seller over good! There's no place for people like that on eBay. It's a clear case of FRAUD!

~Daniel

FALKEN said:

Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. They are definitely not what you bid on. Contact the seller, tell him they were listed as new, but are not. If the bags are not sealed they are not new. And obviously if a reel is scratched they are not new.

How are the tapes held down on the reels? Ampex tape has a white label securing the end of the tape. It shows model # and has a date code, such as 94129. Quantegy stopped using this label in favor of blue or green hold-down tape. But if these are indeed new Ampex 456 they WILL have that label -- no exception.

Go for the throat my friend. That is, if he doesn't refund your money. What you have here is now a crime in most states -- Internet fraud. It's not a civil matter -- it's criminal and state attorney generals around the country are filing charges against these scoundrels.

Hopefully he doesn't give you a hard time and he just doesn't know anything about tape. If he's an asshole start a complaint process with ebay. They have lots of info on all your options. Above all be resolute and firm, but civil in your correspondence with the seller. These are not new tapes and you can't use them. They were misrepresented and you are entitled to a full refund including shipping.

-Tim

Last edited:
One more thing -- save those listings as files. Don't just bookmark them, but actually save them to your hard drive by going to File > Save As in Internet Explorer (Netscape, whatever).

ebay support has a strange practice of sometimes inexplicably deleting listings they have received complaints about, even when the auction has ended. So you may click on a shortcut only to see the "Invalid Item Number" page.

-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back