Does anyone here record with the Roland VG-99 into a DAW?

anppilot

Never Act Like U Know All
I have a roland VG-99 I've been using as a stand alone just playing with it live. I just started to try to record with it, recording into cubase 5 VST, and I noticed when recording a track the guitar sounded fine, perfect. However upon playback when listening to the track, there was a horrible clicking sound as if something was clipping. The volume on the guitar was half way, VG was halfway, the ASIO main input meter was half way, and the meter on the channel I was recording on was a hare over half way, but not in yellow or clipping. So why was I getting this clipping sound?

I took all the volumes almost all the way down on everything,
swapped out the guitar to vg cable,
swapped from the mono output on the vg to the other,
swapped thecable from the vg to the audio input,
moved the vg away from an outlet (stray AC hum),
swayyed to a different jack on the audio card,

Nothing helped.

I swear this sounded like clipping. So I started playing with the sample rate on the audio card. I had it set at 44.1khz, and moved it to 48khz and out of the freaking blue, it went away?

Did I just get lucky or by changing the sample rate actually make a difference? I'm not talking using a sPDIF, I'm just talking about regular 1/4" patch cords.

If anyone has advice/knowledge, please flow it my way. Cauce I cant see how changing the sample rate helped with a analog connection - esp. since the sample freq. on the VG-99 is 44.1 ! MAKES NO SENSE !

Cheers

Back